Help me IDENTIFY THIS PART please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me IDENTIFY THIS PART please!

supra77r

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 F150 XL
This is from a 4r70w tranny. Off a 97 F150 4.2L 2wd. I was removing the valve body from the case and these parts just fell out from somewhere. Im not sure if they fell out when I was removing the valve body to case gasket or what. I just know they fell out when I was removing the VB from the case and removing VB case gaskets.

I was looking at some VB parts online and it looks like those sleeves go inside a part in the VB and that scares me because that means they fell out the internals of VB. But Im not sure were they go,
So if someone can please help me out on WHAT THEY ARE AND WERE THEY GO?

Here is a pic of them...
sleev1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The VB is a possibility, but they don't look like VB parts. I have seen AOD servo pistons which are made from sleeves like that. Look up into the case, there should be four large holes, 2-4 inches in diameter.

The servos have snap rings which hold them in place straight up into the case. Some servos have "pistons" which are made of a round aluminum puck, with a shiny steel shaft bonded to it. My 86 Crown Vic failed by having that described shaft separate from the aluminum section, creating a massive internal leak. Good luck,

I have the whole tranny down and apart. I am replacing the direct clutch and when I was taking the VB off the case is when or about when these fell off. I have the servos in my hand, and wondering were you said those parts might go? I have all the parts of the tranny in front of me.

The VB has everything going into the sides, with locking clips holding things in. If the parts are from the VB it should be clear to find.

The trans as I recall has three larger servos grouped together, and one smaller at the opposite corner. My old AOD lost that smaller servo piston shaft.

Your picture shows a hollow part. If they were soloid I'd be thinking of the one way clutches in a couple of places. Those have solid steel rollers. Does the parking brake assembly look intact, it's at the very back, and engages the large toothed drum on the output shaft.

Throw Chris here a PM, he just recently built a 4R70W, those should pop right to mind for him. Regards,

Yes the parking brake assembly is good. Im thinking they are some kind of spacers that go in between the VB and case or VB and gasket. Or maybe they go on the dowels.
I have carefully inspected all the parts for damage or missing parts already. The only parts I havnt is opening up the VB valves cover. I have opened and cleaned the other side of the VB though. I just want to make sure were they go.

Back