Help me make a buying decision 2006 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me make a buying decision 2006 Explorer

vkimo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Volvo 850
Hey guys, long time lurker ever since I made up my mind to get an Explorer. We've owned 2 Fords in the past with bad results (99 Windstar 90 Taurus) so I'm a little leery. I found a great option that fits my budget and needs but would like some feedback from owners. Any redflags, maintenance concerns, etc.

Here is the Carfax Report

Here is the sale page

Any help MUCH APPRECIATED. I'd like to make a decision before its gone!

3wier.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure there are no issues with the radiator. '06 is notorious for leaking ones, although with this many miles it should be good.

Price may a bit high, but maybe not for a 4x4. Was the trash replaced or rebuilt. There is a difference.

Other than that they are great trucks. Just sold our '06 a few months ago for a '16.

This has a *new* factory tranny. The guy selling it runs a repair shop.

At 100k miles, wouldn't any major issues have surfaced by now?

At 100k miles, wouldn't any major issues have surfaced by now?

My radiator was replaced after a few years of ownership while it was still under warranty. The problems after that were due to a major accident and a lousy body shop. I had a thermostat fail over the weekend and it looks like I need to replace the thermostat housing (at 85,000 miles). This car has needed zero major repairs. This is the most reliable and trouble-free car I have ever owned.

I have had a few little issues come up with my 06 v6 xlt but with 118000 miles the only major thing in my book is I had to have the transfer case rebuilt at the toon of $1200.00

I guess its just hit or miss with them :/

On a side note, this is a near base model XLT but it has leather and a moonroof, kind of bizarre as I would think it would be a Limited at that point.

I guess its just hit or miss with them :/

On a side note, this is a near base model XLT but it has leather and a moonroof, kind of bizarre as I would think it would be a Limited at that point.

The Limited has those digital controls and the screen for radio, DVD and navigation. I wish I knew how they got those seats so clean.

I would keep looking around for a V-8 version.

We've owned 2 Fords in the past with bad results (99 Windstar 90 Taurus) so I'm a little leery.

I wouldn't base your opinion on a Ford built in the 21st century on those 2 vehicles. I think I'd write off Ford too if that's all I had to go on.

To be honest it's not the stock transmission and I doubt the warranty will transfer to a new owner is steer clear....

We have a base model XLT V8 with the sunroof and leather option and rear AC. Yeah, weird options configs out there. Most people will recommend the V8 and it has more power and very similar fuel efficiency ratings, but it has its own problems.

Back