Help me please. Loss of major power coming home last night | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me please. Loss of major power coming home last night

akbossman

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska - Igloo joke free zone
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Navajo LX
:( I have a 4.0l with auto transmission. 102K miles. while coming home i got on the highway and i could not get any speed up . it appears that it is the transmission because when i put it in neutral and rev the engine it sound OK. after tiring to coax up some speed I heard a hissing sound which happens on acceleration. The vacuum lines on the drivers side from the credit card sized module to the steel tube about 5 inched lower had come off or had been blown off. (the hoses are very small I.D. and much larger O.D.(?)) I bought new ones because they had holes melted in them when the came off. I didn't help and they blew off again. I drove home at about 35 mps and even slower up hills. The tranny never seemed to slip but i had to let of the gas some times for it to shift.

Question Could it be the transmission vacuum modulator??? Or it the tranny going away? I am surprised it did not totally:exp: quit.

Thanks !!

Sounds like you have clogged cats.

Sounds like you have clogged cats.

Thanks.

After doing a little research I agree. Can you still but the "test" pipes?;)

Thanks.

After doing a little research I agree. Can you still but the "test" pipes?;)

Just cut the cat off and go for a quick, noisy drive.

There's other ways to test a cat using vacuum and pressure gauges.

Back