Help me read and diagnose my KOEO codes! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me read and diagnose my KOEO codes!

MistahYebba

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey!

I have a nicely sized thread going over here about the problems my truck is having.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430512

as a sub-thread, I need someone who can read codes to give me a hand.

I just want to verify that the KOEO codes I believe to be getting are actually accurate so I know where to go next. Any help is greatly appreciated. <3

Here's the video! Disregard the part after 1:50.. my phone memory was full so I didn't get to record all of the KOER codes, but those codes are "998" and "57" if anyone has info about those too. :)

I got :

37: System Indicates Rich At Idle

58: Idle Tracking Switch (ITS) signal problem ISC

Vane Air Temperature (VAT) sensor out of range or open - VAT

212: Ignition TACH signal was erratic (module/wiring) or SPOUT circuit fault - Ignition Systems

543: Fuel Pump Circuit Open–Battery To Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
C/O

157: Mass Air Flows Sensor Circuit Below Minimum Voltage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an FYI, 37 isn't what you think it is. The "system indicates rich" only applies if the engine is running. I don't know what the Key On, Engine Off 37 code means though.

All the data relating to these codes come from the ICM to the PCM.

You have a bad ICM.

Yes. the code is for "secondary" fuel pump circuit which is a monitor circuit not one that runs the fuel pump.

This guy's gonna bet the expert by the time he sorts out all the issues this truck has. :eek:

He's got more "threads" than triple stitched cotton sheets! :D

This guy's gonna bet the expert by the time he sorts out all the issues this truck has. :eek:

He's got more "threads" than triple stitched cotton sheets! :D

^ He's right guys. 1800 thread count!

All the data relating to these codes come from the ICM to the PCM.

with the stalling issues, and the codes, the pcm/icm is starting to look more and more suspect.

In your PM, you asked me to look at this. Here's what I see.

The initial "37" looks almost like you start the video in mid test somehow, so I ignored this one until the KOEO codes repeat.

Then I see 158, still KOEO
Then KOEO 212
Then KOEO 543
Then KOEO 157 (since I expect KOEO codes in numerical order, I suspect that this is starting the repeat, and this is what the initial "37" was really supposed to be)
Then KOEO 158, so, indeed, the codes are repeating as expected. (this is about 1:24)
KOEO codes continue to repeat.

Video cuts off before separator pulse and CM codes are output.

So, we have codes for the MAF, which suggests that something is wrong with the MAF or the wiring between the PCM and the MAF.
We have the SPOUT/ICM code, which suggests a loose connection in the SPOUT circuit (or in the ICM)j.
Then we have a fuel pump code, which suggests a loose connection in the fuel pump monitor circuit, or a loose connection in the fuel pump circuit. Since the engine seems to start, I might not worry about this one until the others are worked out. I think I might start with the 212, then work on the MAF codes.

Back