HELP ME (Starting/Electrical Prob) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP ME (Starting/Electrical Prob)

Peacock

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4.0
I parked the Xploder last night and went inside. Girlfriend went out twenty minutes later and the Check Gage, Check Engine, a blinking anti-theft light and perhaps one more light came on and won't go off, even with the keys out. The car won't start and it doesn't have that springy feeling when you turn it to start. I changed the battery b/c it was older than **** anyway, but that didn't help. I tapped the starter, or at least what my neighbor said was the starter (is it the gray thing with a black cyllinder attached to it on the firewall above everything?) The thing is, I'm not sure if it would be the starter, b/c the dash lights and everything stay on. No OBD codes are reporting, though I was too dumb to check before I changed the battery?

Could it be the ignition switch? What about anti-theft? Perhaps it is the starter?

This is my only car :exporange and I'm in VA. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the ignition switch - you probably only need the switch part not the key part. You have to open up the steering column to replace it or repair it, but it's not too hard. There's at least a thread or two around here with details on replacing it. There's a chance it may just be loose, but you'll have to dig around in there and see.

Sounds like the ignition switch - you probably only need the switch part not the key part. You have to open up the steering column to replace it or repair it, but it's not too hard. There's at least a thread or two around here with details on replacing it. There's a chance it may just be loose, but you'll have to dig around in there and see.

I've found them split at the crimps. Definately a thing to check.

Anti theft pats problem

I think its the Anti-Theft killing me. I did the code check w/ turning the key to run and got 1:3, which means can't read key code.

My question is, if I have another key, do I just have to stick it in and start up? Is there a way to reset the anti-theft if not? Is there a quick way to find out whether its the key or not?

I'm hoping the used dealer that I bought this POS from has a spare at his place. If he doesn't any guesses on how much I'm gonna be hurtin?

:usa:Buy Japanese.

I think it's still the ignition switch... if the lights won't go off when the key is out, the anti-theft PATS wouldn't do that.

its the ignition switch when mine went the spring inside failed and i got that stupid key code also i think when the switch goes it misaligns the contacts if the dash lights are still lit jump the solenoid i bet it will start up

and one other thought on my f150 one time i thought it was the switch and it turned out to be a lil plastic clip that held the rod going in to the switch in place whern it broke it wouldnt keep enough tension on the switch to turn the truck over i dont kno if the explorer colums are set up the same way though

How do I jump the solenoid? Does anyone know of step by step instructions for taking apart the steering column? I got a second key today, chipped and all, and it didnt do anything. Is there a way to reset the PATS in case that actually is the problem?

on the solenoid there are 3 wires 2 big one small use a screw driver and touch the 2 big studs together its most likely the switch mounted on the column if not it may be cheaper to get a column from a salvage yard but i would try the switch

Yo, is the spring that pushes against the key inside of the ignition switch? Also, is the PATS receiver in the column or the dash? Will I have the PATS trippin' if I change the column out?

Back