Help me turn my 2000 Sport 4x4 into Pre Runner! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me turn my 2000 Sport 4x4 into Pre Runner!

tuckonline

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
Hi, I just got a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4. I am looking to make it a pre-runner. I have very little knowledge on this, and am looking for some help. Heres a pic of it, it is completely stock except for the new tires I just put on it.

What is the first thing I should start on? What parts will I need to buy? Prices and places where I can get them? Im a college student and on a budget so I cant be spending too much cash. Thanks for the help!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/tuckonline/explorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pre runner and budget dont really go together
The sport has a shortish wheel base for pre running
but you can build it into a very capable truck

your truck, although it is a 2 door, shares the same suspension as the 4 door models 95-2001, so try looking around at some 4 door 4x4 built trucks on this forum.

Right now Dixon Brothers are the only kit on the market for our front 4x4 IFS that is a true bolt on long travel front suspension

pre runner and budget dont really go together
The sport has a shortish wheel base for pre running
but you can build it into a very capable truck

your truck, although it is a 2 door, shares the same suspension as the 4 door models 95-2001, so try looking around at some 4 door 4x4 built trucks on this forum.

Right now Dixon Brothers are the only kit on the market for our front 4x4 IFS that is a true bolt on long travel front suspension

Thanks, Ill check it out right now.

Also. will 2000 Ford Ranger parts fit my Explorer?

yes, a Ranger lift will fit in the front- You'll need to do an SOA in the back though.

only the Ranger edge 4x4 has the same front end as your Explorer

most ranger parts will not work

So Is the suspension the first thing I should start with? That is probably something that is going to have to wait unfortunately, due to the cost :(

I just dont have $3000 to throw around yet.

Ive also been looking at the McNeil Front end for this. I think it is a 2006 sport trac conversion? Anyone know anything about it?

only the Ranger edge 4x4 has the same front end as your Explorer

most ranger parts will not work

The 98+ 4wd suspension is identical to a 4wd 2nd gen Explorers- not just the Edge. Now, the 2wd Edge has the same suspension as a 2wd 2nd gen though.

whats the difference between a suspension lift kit and a body lift kit?

whats the difference between a suspension lift kit and a body lift kit?

oh my!..... a suspension lift spaces only the suspension down while a body lift lifts the body further off of the frame.

DONT DO A BODY LIFT !! It causes great stress on the body mounts if the frame flexes, and you have to change every linkage fom tranny, to transfer case, and steering linkage, fuel inlet hose etc. I built a Chevy 1500 2wd into a prerunner, using a mig welder several cases of beer, a ton of tube steel and ended up 5 years later with a truck that could leave the ground and land with no damage! I did all of the suspension work myself. The first thing you need to ask yourself is how extreme do you want to go? I will send you pictures of what I did to give you some ideas, as soon as I figure out how to transfer pictures from my camera to the computer. [don't laugh] P.S. the project only cost me about 2000 bucks.
-Motoman

DONT DO A BODY LIFT !! It causes great stress on the body mounts if the frame flexes, and you have to change every linkage fom tranny, to transfer case, and steering linkage, fuel inlet hose etc. I built a Chevy 1500 2wd into a prerunner, using a mig welder several cases of beer, a ton of tube steel and ended up 5 years later with a truck that could leave the ground and land with no damage! I did all of the suspension work myself. The first thing you need to ask yourself is how extreme do you want to go? I will send you pictures of what I did to give you some ideas, as soon as I figure out how to transfer pictures from my camera to the computer. [don't laugh] P.S. the project only cost me about 2000 bucks.
-Motoman

actually alot of members run bl's here with no problems....how does a bl stress the body mounts when it is just spacing? In fact stock there is a little spacer you are in effect just making that spacer taller...not adding any extra weight or stress... the only "stress" would be more body roll.

actually alot of members run bl's here with no problems....how does a bl stress the body mounts when it is just spacing? In fact stock there is a little spacer you are in effect just making that spacer taller...not adding any extra weight or stress... the only "stress" would be more body roll.

What he said ^^^^

I had one on my 01 sport and it was fine.

-Rich

Moving to modified Explorers Forum....

If you want to start off you could save for the dixon brothers lift. But in the mean time, go ahead and crank up your torsion bars, get a set of deaver rear leaves, GOOD shocks, fiberglass fenders, gears and tires. That way you already have most of everything you'd want after the dixon kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to ask this question, Why a pre-runner? You have four wheel drive. Why not build a ba$$ fourwheel drive? you can build a solid four wheel drive cheap-ish
Just wondering what was your motivation?

Back