Help me with an offer...2012 used Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me with an offer...2012 used Explorer Limited

Adri3387

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer
I am looking at a 2012 certified preowned Explorer limited with 17K miles. Dark gray with black leather interior.

they are asking $36592. what would be a good offer? would would be a great deal?

any suggestions and thoughts would be most appreciated!

thank you

INSTALLED OPTIONS
abs (4-wheel)
advancetrac
air conditioning
backup camera
cruise control
custom bumper
dual air bags
dual power seats
head curtain air bags
heated seats
hill descent control
hill start assist control
keyless entry
keyless start
leather
mp3 (single disc)
oversize wheels 20+
parking sensors
power door locks
power steering
power windows
premium sound
privacy glass
side air bags
sirius satellite
sync
tilt & telescoping wheel
traction control

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To be honest- with the issues that are around, I don't think I'd buy a low mile used Ex. I know 2 people that ended up buying vehicles that Ford bought back, re-certified them, and resold. Fixed, sure, but maybe just for now. I wouldn't want one of them.

Besides- if you figure the price difference vs. the interest rate difference/warranty, it could be not much more expensive to just get a new one.

$37k for a 17,000 mile old vehicle seems a little high anyhow. 1/2 of your factory warranty is gone already. The extended 100k mile warranty isn't really what it sounds like it should be.

The extended 100k mile warranty isn't really what it sounds like it should be.

What makes you say that Joe Dirt? I've been pondering lately if an extended warranty would be worth it when our time comes... Opinions?

Why yes, I do GABEHCUOD. My neighbor who owns a 2011 Ex that was purchased as a certified vehicle had 2 claims denied already for items that were listed as covered with the warranty. One because the oil change history did not meet spec, i.e. stamped by the dealer in the book, even though he bought it with higher miles than it would have had when the stamp would have been placed there, and the second, a leaking rad with a crack in the rad outlet, because it was said that there was no way that the truck could have overheated already with 20,000 miles on it. I'm just conveying what he faced so far. Just my thoughts- if you're not on the dealer, don't assume that it will be covered with nothing but the deductible out of your pocket.

Choose what you like, I'm just err'ing on the side of caution.

And it doesn't cover everything- it's comprehensive for 12 months or 12,000 miles, and the limited powertrain is 100k- That's engine, trans, and drive systems only. And none of those are problems that most Ex owners are having anyhow. I'm not saying that the denials are normal, just that my neighbor has been fighting with his dealer for a while about them.

Okay, I'm confused... big surprise, huh? :D

So Joe Dirt, you are saying that the premium care plans are comprehensive for only 12/12,000? If I buy a 6year/100,000 mile plan, only the drivetrain is covered for that period of time?

I read the policy and I didn't see those caveats anywhere.

Am I misunderstanding you? Thanks :)

I am looking at a 2012 certified preowned Explorer limited with 17K miles. Dark gray with black leather interior.

they are asking $36592. what would be a good offer? would would be a great deal?

any suggestions and thoughts would be most appreciated!

thank you

INSTALLED OPTIONS
abs (4-wheel)
advancetrac
air conditioning
backup camera
cruise control
custom bumper
dual air bags
dual power seats
head curtain air bags
heated seats
hill descent control
hill start assist control
keyless entry
keyless start
leather
mp3 (single disc)
oversize wheels 20+
parking sensors
power door locks
power steering
power windows
premium sound
privacy glass
side air bags
sirius satellite
sync
tilt & telescoping wheel
traction control

I would offer $32K and be prepared to walk-out...

Okay, I'm confused... big surprise, huh? :D

So Joe Dirt, you are saying that the premium care plans are comprehensive for only 12/12,000? If I buy a 6year/100,000 mile plan, only the drivetrain is covered for that period of time?

I read the policy and I didn't see those caveats anywhere.

Am I misunderstanding you? Thanks :)

Here is the offer info, see the Warranty section:

warr.jpg

If you click HERE you can see the policy. The items in bold on page 2 are what is covered in the Limited Powertrain Warranty. It is NOT a bumper to bumper to 100k.

Then, the caveats on the right side. Those are the wiggle room policies they have in place.

Aha! I was thinking about the new car warranties, lol. Of course, that doesn't apply here. Please forgive me my generalized state of idiocy.

Not idiocy- just the small print... :)

Back