• Register Today It's free!

help me with my rust bucket

volver

Reaction score
City, State
Milan, IL Quad City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD
My explorer is starting to rust out. The rear doors have rusted through. Rust is focused on the lower half of the truck. Looking underneath of it, the seams of the floor are starting to rust. The paint is peeling at the metal seams and edges.

I have tried to use a rubber coating to stop the rust on the door. DONT DO THIS it will cause more rust. Today I sand blasted the bottom of the doors. I used a special rust proof zinc primer and flat black paint to cover it back up.

This sanding and painting is time consuming. I would rather spend my time modifying other things on the truck.

Whats the best way to deal with the rust? Can I pay someone to hunt down all the rust and fix it. How much does it cost to have the car repainted, undercoated, fix all the rust.

Would I be better off buying a truck with no rust, then try and rust proof it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how much this will help, but when I was in the Navy, we used to use some type of liquid that actually inhibited rust completely once you got down to bare metal. I can't remember the name, but it was a dark brown/maroon color and the stuff worked wonders on the submarine.

I have been looking around at all these rust removal and prevention products. They all do the same thing pretty much. Remove the rust then seal the metal so it doesn't come in contact with moisture. I have sand blasted my rust and put on a coat of paint. it seams to have work in other areas of my car.

If i were to fix all the rust how much would it cost to get the car professionally painted.

I have been looking around at all these rust removal and prevention products. They all do the same thing pretty much. Remove the rust then seal the metal so it doesn't come in contact with moisture. I have sand blasted my rust and put on a coat of paint. it seams to have work in other areas of my car.

If i were to fix all the rust how much would it cost to get the car professionally painted.

$2k-5k for a good paint job.

Back