• Register Today It's free!

help!! MOT failure:(

fcat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 5.0 V8 Limited
My Ex has just failed on the lower and upper ball joints:(

Any help on acquiring whats needed would be appreciated. 98 facelift

I am going to the USA on Thursday for a week!! wondering if i can bring the parts back if it'll be cheaper! will the top arms and lower ball joints be the same as the US ones ?

Gutted

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had some bits from here http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/ and they have been very helpful. They also have an Ebay shop which is worth checking because they sell stuff cheaper there.

ok after looking round and e mailing rockauto they have suggested a top control arm for the left hand side and the right hand side, however the Right hand one is different to others ive seen and also different to the two types rockauto have on their site im confused which i need:

A
1610qpv.jpg

B
264rgr6.jpg

ok after looking round and e mailing rockauto they have suggested a top control arm for the left hand side and the right hand side, however the Right hand one is different to others ive seen and also different to the two types rockauto have on their site im confused which i need:

A
1610qpv.jpg

B
264rgr6.jpg
The top control arm is different for off/nearside. USAutomotive though have a new design so they are both like your picture A. I have these fitted to mine. I had a garage fit mine so can't say how easy it is.

Here is the left hand. They will combine orders for shipping costs.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-EXPL...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item519bbfef4f

yeah, nearside UBJ is a single piece design whereas the offside is a two part design, your picture (the ball joint part) plus another part that holds the bushing onto the chasis. Just to make things more confusing the offside is also available as a single part design replacement.

I replaced mine last year and was a pretty straight forward job (plenty of step-by-step guides these forums), you just need to be careful with all the brake, fuel and aircon pipes around the mountings. On the offside I only replaced the ball joint part as this is much simpler plus less chance of messing up the alignment.

-P

ok thanks for the info, just seen a video clip on you tube about changing the ball joint only part of the 2 part side and it looks pretty simple.

I replaced mine with two single-piece control arms and I'm ordering some more this year to do the same to my second Explorer. If you go for two single-piece arms, make sure you get the camber/caster kit for each side, otherwise you'll have trouble aligning the vehicle. I'm not sure if this is necessary if you replace with the two-part ones though

Some part numbers if anyone needs them, and feel free to correct me :D

K8708T - CONTROL ARM
K80068 - CONTROL ARM
K8695T - 2 X BALL JOINTS (LOWER)

RAYBESTOS Part # 6161011 Professional Grade
Contains Cams And Bolt; 0 Degree To Plus Or Minus 2-1/4 Degree; Front

I replaced mine with two single-piece control arms and I'm ordering some more this year to do the same to my second Explorer. If you go for two single-piece arms, make sure you get the camber/caster kit for each side, otherwise you'll have trouble aligning the vehicle. I'm not sure if this is necessary if you replace with the two-part ones though

Some part numbers if anyone needs them, and feel free to correct me :D

K8708T - CONTROL ARM
K80068 - CONTROL ARM
K8695T - 2 X BALL JOINTS (LOWER)

RAYBESTOS Part # 6161011 Professional Grade
Contains Cams And Bolt; 0 Degree To Plus Or Minus 2-1/4 Degree; Front

Cheers for the info, after looking into it i cant see any gain on using the one piece ? so was gonna order the 2 piece part with the BJ in

Are these part number for rockauto ?

Anyone in the West Yorkshire area with a ball joint pusher/puller and tools wanna spend a weekend in exchange for a few beers sometime ? :)

cheers

Yeah those are all part numbers for Rockauto. My reason for going to dual one-piece arms was I didn't want to leave the crusty old "half" left on the car. I'm pretty sure it came out cheaper too. I'd offer to lend a hand but I don't have the tool myself :(

Oh, and they'll be the same for the UK Ex's

Im also wondering if putting a whole new lower arm (only $75 each) is gonna be easier and less hassle than removing and installing a new Ball joint ?

I wouldn't think it'd be any easier as you're adding a bunch more rusty bolts to the equation... mounting bushes, shock, torsion bar and drop link. You would gain with the new lower arm bushes tho.

On the two occasions I replaced the lbj they've come out fine, plenty of wd40, support under the lower control arm and a big hammer :)

Yeh i guess so, the MOT garage want £170 labour to replace all 4 parts, could just do without spending that to be honest and hopefully do it myself.

I noticed last night in the explorer service book there was a receipt for replacing the lower ball joints in July 2008. Ive today taken the Ex to two different garages, both said there was nothing wrong with the top or bottom ball joints!!

Not sure what to do now, the complaints process seems long drawn out and i have to pay for a new MOT and then hopeful claim it back if the appeal goes through.

Feel a bit weird (shouldn't do at all though) going back to the original garage and telling them what ive done!

thoughts ?

I think is is a bit subjective. I bought my EX last year with a new MOT before I picked it up. I noticed a slight knocking through my feet soon after and suspected a ball joint or bush gone. I got it checked out by a garage I use. They confirmed that various bushes and ball joints could do with replacing. They got an MOT tester they knew to have a look, knowing it had just been MOT'd and he said they were all marginal and could have been pass or fail. (The cynic in me says a few notes may have been passed by the seller to get it through).

Once they were all replaced though it feels so much tighter to drive.

Back