Help MPG issue 2002 Sport

astiocles

Reaction score
City, State
Miami FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer sport
Hello

Hopefully I can get some tips, I have a 2002 2 dr sport 95k miles. I was averaging about 210 miles per tank until recently it dropped to 160! Spark plugs and wires are motorcraft and were changed about a year ago. Oil change done recently. No check engine light. I took it to the dealer and they ran it through the computer and no error codes came up. They did the following procedures, Changed fuel filter, cleaned Maf sensor, cleaned IAC Valve, reprogrammed pcm, BG fuel injection cleaning and BG fuel induction cleaning. All of this did not help to achieve more MPG. I am stumped, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheel balance/inflation, seafoam, replace plugs again anyways, try the throttle mod video in the link in my signature. Alignment may help. You could have dragging brakes as well. I have a brake how to video in that link as well. Also if your thermostat is stuck open it will effect your mpg. Might wanna replace that as well as the coolant temp sensors. O2 sensors may be the cause as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did the seafoam through the throttle body and noticed that the plate was not fully opening, I thought that was normal I will definetely try the throttle mod. Thanks for the video! But would the throttle not opening fully, effect MPG? Also what would be signs of a defective thermostat? Thanks!

One more question jlsparky7, I just when out and looked at my gas pedal and there is a plastic spring where the cable ties should go. Am I still able to do the mod? Do the tie wraps go in front or behind the spring?

Thanks

Hello

I am hoping to get more advice on this issue. Since last writing I had the tires rotated and balanced, tire pressure is good, alignment checked out ok, and brakes were inspected and not sticking, and throttle body does open fully. Any other issues that could be giving me poor gas mileage? I am still not getting a check engine light.

Thanks

Low RPM's (2k at the most), clean injectors, stock sized tires, light braking, no vacuum leaks will help out gas mileage alot. but the biggest would have to be to keep it under 2k RPM's.

Don't just do pour seafoam through the throttle body, while the truck is running remove the booster house (vacuum hose, from the intake to the brake booster), let it sip the fluid slowly, not too fast or the engine will die and you may lock the engine, then after your done with that, put the hose back on and let it sit for 15 minutes. I would normally put 1 1/3 in the gas tank, then the other 1/3 for the vacuum/intake, then use the rest for my lawn mowers and such.

Also, check your brakes, make sure there not seized or sticking.

Hope this helps.

Back