HELP!!! My radio and mirrors dont work! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! My radio and mirrors dont work!

dajo0302

Reaction score
City, State
New Richmond WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer sport
Hello! I have 98 explorer sport. both my power mirrors and my radio refuse to work. I know its not the fuses inside by the door. where do both the mirrors and the radio intersect. I am guessing that has to be where my problem is. Somebody please help me! I bought this car yesterday and knew they didnt work but thought that it would be a quik fuse issue but obviuosly wasnt. Private sale so I cant take it back(nor do i want to). Anyways my wife has not seen the exp yet cause she is on a trip and I don't want her to trip on me once she sees tht the mirrors and radio dont work. WHAT IS WRONG!?!?!?!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure without looking in my manual but did you check the underhood fuse panel?

yes I did. i just dont know where to check in there and I dont want to mess anything up.

for mirrors:
check for power at fuse #1 7.5Amp. if so, check for power at the O/LG wire on the master window swt. check for ground at the BK wire on that swt.

for radio: need the 8th letter of VIN (P,E,X).

need to know type of radio:

standard, Mach, or premium sound. with or without High Series Consule

i don't see any connection/commonalities between the circuits.

Okay, the 8th letter to my vin is "e" and I dont know if I have a mach or a premium radio. All I know is that I have all the buttons for bass treble and such. I also have a cd and tape deck. but no cd changer. Which one is that? Anyways thanks for the help. I will check those wires for the mirror to see if that what the issue is.

I had the same thing happen when i was changing my cdplayer and it was a fuse look for a fuze that says dome light and mirrors. Thats what it was for me. Its not the radio fuze so my 2 cents is check the other fuze just pull them all if you dont know what one..........just my 2 cents

does the radio not turn on?? on lights. or do the lights come on and no sound??

check fuses 20 7.5Amp and 29 25Amp. check for power at those fuses with key ON also.

if power, check for power at radio Pin#6 Y/Bk and Pin#8 LG/P. check for ground on Pin3 BK/LG and Pin7 BK.

Back