Help needed ! Differences in axle housings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed ! Differences in axle housings

scruff

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited chassis only
OK, I have a bent flange on the end of my axle housing, it's a 2000 limited.
I've found a guy locally who has an axle, which he says had drums on it. He says it's from an Explorer but doesn't know what year or model.
He does know it has a 3.27 posi in it.

All I need is the housing, since it may work out cheaper than repairing mine, does anyone know if they're likely to be the same ?
I have him looking for stickers and tags on it now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I have a bent flange on the end of my axle housing, it's a 2000 limited.
I've found a guy locally who has an axle, which he says had drums on it. He says it's from an Explorer but doesn't know what year or model.
He does know it has a 3.27 posi in it.

All I need is the housing, since it may work out cheaper than repairing mine, does anyone know if they're likely to be the same ?
I have him looking for stickers and tags on it now.
have you tried junk yards? they are often littered with 2nd generation (95 and up) with disc-braked 8.8 axles. the drum braked axles are often from the first generation (91-94) and i think the later "sport-trac" model.

Yes, but every explorer I find is missing the axle - they're a popular conversion for mustang AND Jeep guys because of the 31 spline shafts and larger diameter housings.

Also this one is cheap, and I'd be able to offload the center and the axles and make the money back.

Also, he says there is a sensor on the top of the housing, this must be the speed sensor you mention. It's a shame there is no parts fische online somewhere.

Its very likely to be the abs sensor plug

It Will Work

Scruff, Housings are the same. You can swap axles, drum brakes to disk and vice versa. All Explorer rear diffs. have the tone ring on the case and supply a signal for the ABS, speedo etc.. Your 2000 diff. may have a different looking speed sensor if you pull it out of the housing, but they work exactly the same. Al

Well I shot down there today and picked up that axle I mentioned.
It's almost identical, the width is right, it's a drum brake version and the sensor is there and in the right spot.

The single difference is the link mount points directly above spring platforms are missing. I am not bothered really. I've decided I'll use this axle when I transport the chassis and then sell it. I am sure I'll easily get back out what i paid for it.

Thanks for all your help.

Oh yeah, the only thing I can figure is that this axle must have come from a gen 1 Ex 2wd.
According to this website...
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html
Only the Explorers came with a 3.27 limited slip, which this one definitely is, and since it got drums it must be gen 1.
Did the Gen 1's not have the link bars going forward at the top of the axle tubes ?

no they do not.

Cool thanks, at least now I know absolutely what this axle came from.
I'll only need it for a couple of weeks and then it'll be for sale.

no they do not.

what every one is tryin to say is the first gens only had an abs sensor..the 2nd gens is an abs/speed sensor, i relize you understand that ..BUT what everyones tryin to say is the 2nd gen sensor might not work with that housing.

Yep, I got it.
All I am saying is that I am only using this axle to move the truck a couple of times on a tow dollie so I don't care at all about the sensors.
I was mainly trying to establish what it's from for future reference.

o, ok then.

as for the link bars...they are a "ladder bar" of sorts and i am pretty sure they do not need to be run, my 96 does not have them.

Back