Help needed, Eratic Spedo and 4x4 lights flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed, Eratic Spedo and 4x4 lights flashing

Twist Of Fate

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisonburg, VA/ North Palm Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exploder Sport 4x4
98 Exploder Sport
4.0 SOHC 4x4
Rear Air Lift piggybacked with Monroe Air Shocks
Cranked up Torsion Bars to accommodate Over sized 16" Tires
Open Air Intake Box Mod
Prestige Remote Start Alarm
Hypertech Stage 1 Chip(1996)
Premeir Head unit for Fosgate P2 12"s
HID Lighting
Manik Bruch Gaurd and Tail Light Gaurds
Enough Lights to illuminate a small city
Prestige Remote Start Alarm

In the last couple of months I have been abusing my x a bit more than normal. It has snowed quite a bit here in Richmond, so I have been driving my truck a couple hundred miles per day for work and pulling alot of people out of the snow. I have some ideas of where my issues are coming from, but I'll leave it to your guys to point me in the right direction.

First off, I did the blend door manual fix, so I believe I may have too much heat running into my dash, which may be causing some of my issues. It may be coincidental, but 3 issues I am am having all started on the same area on I-64 near the airport.

First off, about a month ago, my speedometer started going erratic for a couple seconds and then just dropped to zero. Now ever since then, it will work for about 5-10 minutes after I fire up the the truck. It will hang up at 52mph for about 20 seconds and then drop to zero and wont work again till the truck has sat for a bit. The OD stops as well. I've tried keeping the HAVC fan control off and it has made no difference. Is there anything in the dash that would cause the speedo to act up like that due to excessive heat, I've noticed that there is significantly less airflow and heat coming from my far left vent, leading me to believe something is disconnected in the duck work in the dash.

3 weeks ago I was on some crappy snow and ice covered roads driving way too fast and loving my 4x4 when I blew a hole in my power steering cooler. I had to order the part, but it was an easy and relatively painless fix, but I will likely be spending the next year cleaning the fluid off the bottom of my truck from running it for a week before the fix.

On Friday after picking my gf up at the airport, I got on 64 and after a couple minutes of driving, the rpm's shot up and the truck slowed down. after I let off the gas I felt a huge clunk and then it was fine. This didn't feel anything like the typical tranny slip I have experienced in the past with other vehicles. It felt like the whole drive shaft came out and went back in again. Haven't had that problem since. I put about 500 miles on the truck over the weekend and then took my gf back to the airport Sunday night. about 2 miles before the exit, the 4x4 high and low lights started flashing 6 times and then paused for 2 minutes. It's been flashing like that ever since. I understand that in order to read the codes i absolutely have to go to the stealer, but I am trying to avoid that at all costs.

I pulled the check plug on the transfer case. I couldn't feel anything in there, so I am in the process of topping it off as we speak. With the truck turned off, I tried to move the rear drive shaft and it is tight. The front one has some play. I can feel the the front u joint are a bitt wobbly and I can hear some clanking in the transfer case. I can see that there is a leak somewhere on the back of the tc in the area of the check plug. There is a sensor above it that looks like a vss, but I'm not sure. There are two bols sticking out below the threads with a 12 point hex head and threads and what apears to be a large O-ring. I can't tell if the leak is comming from those bolts or the sensor. I drove the truck and put it in 4x4 high and low and got nothing.

I know the whole parts going bad at the same spot in 64 is a fluke, but there are so many electronics on this damn truck and I know the transfer case runs on electromagnetic currents, so it's just a thought. Also in that area, my radar detector goes off like crazy for about 3 miles

I know there's no simple solution for these issues, but maybe someone has had similar experiences. I stayed up all night reading threads and posts and none of them seemed to be right on the money for me. I've read posts where people have change out the vss and still had the same issues. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm spending the day laying on the ground in the cold going through the system trying to eliminate the obvious.

Ok, turns out the transfer case was low on fluid. I topped it off and disconnected the battery. The lights have stopped flashing now and the 4x4 works again. The tc seems to be leaking from the sensor above the check plug. I thought that was the speed sensor, but I am sadly mistaken. I've got a 98 sport with a Borg Warner TC. This sensor mounts up like the speed sensor, but the wires go directly into it and it sits fluch to the tc housing. Any ideas?

Back