• Register Today It's free!

Help needed here.

supraman

Reaction score
City, State
Keller Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exploder sport
How would one (me) go about getting the plastic gate panel off from the inside of an '02 explorer sport? if that makes any sence at all lol Xp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you need one or are you pulling yours off?
i need to pull mine off to put in some dynamat...
i'm pretty sure the 1st thing you remove is the pull handle; take out the phillips-head screw then remove the handle. i would think it would then come off like a regular door panel
if i'm correct on this process could someone confirm
if you need one i'd check a local pick&pull junkyard

if i remember correctly you unscrew the strap inside that you use to pull the liftgate shut. and i think the tabs that hold it on are hook shaped. so while the lift gate is open you want to push the whole panel towards the front of the truck and it should just pop right off. if i'm wrong some one please correct me. i took mine off about 7 months ago but i don't remember exactly how it came off.

if i remember correctly you unscrew the strap inside that you use to pull the liftgate shut. and i think the tabs that hold it on are hook shaped. so while the lift gate is open you want to push the whole panel towards the front of the truck and it should just pop right off. if i'm wrong some one please correct me. i took mine off about 7 months ago but i don't remember exactly how it came off.

That's how you do it.
Be careful though, the panel is probably going to be brittle.
On mine there was a screw near the up/down lock button, I didn't realize it and now have a cracked panel.

Thank you very much dudes!!!!!!!

correct, but there are also two plastic screws near the latch. I was never able to get them out so I just grabbed them with plyers and pulled and bought two new ones for a couple bucks at FORD dealer, other then that its just those stupid plastic snaps that hold most doors in but as said before pull slowly and take your time.

Back