Help Needed!! Problems Starting Car When Cold. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Needed!! Problems Starting Car When Cold.

Tommig

Reaction score
City, State
Mineola, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hello, this is my first post.
I have a 6 cylinder 2000 model year Ford explorer XLT. The car has 53,000 miles. And otherwise runs fine.
I have no 4WD.

This is my problem. This morning, I tried to start my explorer and it appeared that the choke would not kick in and keep the car idled at a high RPM.

The car would just stall out. I had to stay with the car and when I finally got the car started I had to keep my foot on the accelerator peddle (to keep the RPM high enough) until the car warmed up. Furthermore, there was a loud humming sound from what I think is the air flow thing after the square air filter.
The humming sound will go away if I hit the gas. It is like I think the air flow device is sticking or getting the wrong signal.
Could someone give me their advice and could you tell me what the air flow device is called?
I will repair this problem myself if I know what to repair or replace.
Thank you all so much
Sincerely
Tommig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same Problem

I just posted a thread describing the exact same problem with my 93. The only thing I found was a reply from fgump on 11-19-01 in which he talks about cleaning the IAC valve. I'll try this fix when I get home. If I hear anything, I'll pass it along to you. You do the same, OK?

Thanks,
ddenton749

"Humming" + bad idle = bad IAC valve. Try cleaning or replacing it.

Thank you fellas.
You saved me a few Pesos. I have it in my hands at this time and I am cleaning it right now.

Sincerely,
Tommig

I had the same thing.

Go to local AutoZone if you have them in your area. They'll run diagnostics for free.

1131 code means Oxygen Sensor is bad - it is the primary fault

Most other code will be MAF sensor, and it's easy to replace.

Go from there

Replies to my thread

There were a couple of replies to my thread. Mikeh says to look at the IAC valve. I took mine off and cleaned it yesterday. The x started ok today but it wasn't that cold (50's). I'll know on Friday when it'll be in the 20's. Let me know how you made out.

Back