Help Newbie 94 Explorer Just Purchased w/75000 miles! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Newbie 94 Explorer Just Purchased w/75000 miles!

oldnhfordman

Reaction score
City, State
Southern NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Hello Folks,
Just purchased a 94 Explorer, very clean and low miles. Bought for winter wheels. I don't drive much, but I have an issue. The problem is that the front doors will not lock via power door locks or the key. The rear doors and hatch work fine. I can manually lock the two front doors from the inside, but when I do that I cannot open them from the outside. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Joe S.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Folks,
Just purchased a 94 Explorer, very clean and low miles. Bought for winter wheels. I don't drive much, but I have an issue. The problem is that the front doors will not lock via power door locks or the key. The rear doors and hatch work fine. I can manually lock the two front doors from the inside, but when I do that I cannot open them from the outside. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Joe S.

I'd guess sticky lock actuators pull the door panels off and lubricate them and look for any bent or missing rods.

Door Panels

Thanks William, what is the trick on removing the door panel to access the lock components? Thanks again!

There's 3 phillips screws. 2 around the door handle and oneat the very top where the mirror is. The use a small flat screwdriver and remove the black trip piece around the handle. After that just use something to go around the outside of the door panel and pop all the clips loose and then lift it up and off.

I think there's a write up somewhere on it if my instructions aren't clear enough. Just use the search button it's a great tool.

Search "door panel removal". There's a few write up's on taking the door panels off with pics & instructions.

Back