Help no compression 2003 ford Explorer 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help no compression 2003 ford Explorer 4.0

DAVEL#018

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer xlt
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0. The truck died in a parking lot while driving and I could not restart.Had it towed home did a Diagnostic test it read camshaft sensor bad. I replaced it and no other power train codes were detected. I have spark in all cylinders, I have checked fuel pressure,I have 60 psi. Now I checked compression. How I did it is I removed all plugs took out fuel pump relay and disconnected the terminal on the coil pack. The plugs looked wore (about .040" gap) no 4 and 5 plugs were wet with gas,not oily though.I checked compression on #2 and 5 and 6 cylinders,these were the easiest to get at with tester. I have 0 reading no compression. Any thoughts ??

Timing chains for sure. Replace engine is the best plan these engines are known for this. Throw away and look for a donor! This is what I do when looking for vehicles to drive. I buy bad tranny or bad motor 02-04 Explorer's drive for a while and then sell them making a bit of $$ while doing so. I'm working on a great 02 I got for a steel leather 3rd row seating with bad tranny that I have a tranny for it.

Back