HELP! OEM CD Player Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! OEM CD Player Swap

IDonI

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I purchased a 2004 OEM Ford Explorer 1 CD unit.

Currently, my 2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer has the OEM 6 CD unit.

When going to install the 1 CD unit, it appears the wiring harness is not the same as the current 6 CD unit.

Can I purchase an adapter or do I need a whole new wiring harness? How much of a PITA is it to install a new wiring harness?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well you got bitten by the changeover in '04 which had two types of plugs. On the back of the radio what color are the plugs? Grey or Black?
Black is call 'World Plugs' or 'T100' this was used prior-'03 and '04 with the Basic Radio.
Grey is 'Phase II' is '05 and newer and '04 preimum sound/Audiophile.

There is a cable patch cord to convert from World to PhaseII not sure about a reverse.
Ford OEM harness T100 car to Phase 2 Radio works with or with out audiophile
Ford part number 5L2Z-18W862 BA

Check these out, might be able to make one?
Metra 70-5700 Car side World plugs J1, J2, J3
Metra 71-5520-1 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Harness 03-08

On a side note that 6CD should be the better radio, does it have SubWoofer outputs, (4wire 8 connector back side of the radio).

Mine has the gray plugs, must be the 04 premium. The problem is that one of the grey plugs is much too long to fit in the short square input on the back on the radio.

So, if I purchase 5L2Z-18W862 BA for the T100, is this plug and play, or is there actually wiring that has to be done?

If i understand correctly, your more or less putting in an older radio into a new Harness. Bummer, i think that harness is for installing a new OEM radio in an old truck that had the older radio. Expensive too, $113 wow, more than i paid to fix my Audiophile with the CDError.

you have to make one using the Metra connectors. Just make sure you get the right M/F ends.

take a look at this link, it shows a guy upgrading to an Audiophile.
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/interior/audio_upgrade.htm

I'm almost positive but car side connectors are the same color, world or phaseII just different pin outs. Radio plugs are different.

How many plugs do you have now? 3?
16pin
20pin - rear dvd/steering wheel/bus A/B
8pin -sub

can i ask why your ditching the 6CD?

Thanks for the info!

I'm ditching the 6 CD as I get the CD Error.

dude, same problem with mine. I bought mine of fleabay and without the shipping bracket they will come apart in the mail, only $80 to get it fixed, cheaper than a harness. . .i had a write up where i was able to re-align the trays. Worked for a short time then jammed again. So i pulled and split the CD unit from the radio and sent that in. Its been working without issue for 6 months now. I'll try and post the link.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204211&highlight=audiophile

oh, by the way thats my wifes CD . . .LOL. .

i have a 2001 explorer sport and as most people know it has a oem subwoofer in the right rear panel. i got a new head unit and a 2 12" kicker subs and i noticed that the sub in the panel was no longer working. i also recently found speaker wire leading up to the dash from the rear panel. if i splice in rca cables can i just plug it into one of the preouts on my head unit, or is there not an amp with the oem sub? i just want to know if its gonna be a waste of time to even mess with.

Back