HELP! on compatibility of later SOHC engine swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! on compatibility of later SOHC engine swap.

enough

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 98 & 00
I have a 2000 Explorer with the 4L v6 SOHC Engine with 300,000k. Its rattling and on its last legs. I'm going to do an engine swap.

I have been offered an SOHC out of a 2007 Mustang with only 70k for a very sweet price. VERY SWEET! I'm hoping that the block and heads are the same as my 2000 SOHC and all I'll need to do is swap the peripherals (fuel rail, intake manifold, steering pump, etc etc etc etc) Is my thinking correct on this?

My fear is I'll find that on the mustang 2007 SOHC V6 4L, the bolt holes to connect to the transmission are in a different place or that the accessories are bolted in a different place and holes were tapped in different places than on the 2000 explorer SOHC v6 4L.

Please help as I want to snap this engine up before its gone.

Thanks.

I have the same issue on a '01 xlt. I understand that an '05 Mustang motor is the way to go. I found a place in FL that would sell me a low mileage salvaged motor with a CarFax report delivered free for $1,600.

Back