• Register Today It's free!

Help Pick Code Reader

rjc

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Thanks to the great information on this forum I learned that you can go out and purchase a code reader to run codes on your own vehicle. I have a 92 ranger and 93 Explorer and I can buy one code reader to trouble shoot both vehicles. I called my local Autozone and they have a code reader made by Actron for $30 and my local Kragen has one made by Equus for $31. Ford want's $75 to pull the codes. Piss on that, I'll buy my own reader for less! I was hoping you guys would have an opinion as to which reader is better or more reliable. Also, where can I find a list of the codes? I don't think they are in my Haynes manual but I haven't really looked. Do the code readers come with a list? Thanks, rc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to both manufacturer's web-site and see which one you like best based on the features/appearance. Both manufactuers have been around a while and either is likely to be just fine. Yes, the reader will come with a booklet with the codes and description.

You can also find pages with codes on the web.

Thanks for the responses. I purchased the one at Walmart which is the same one at Kragen but $6 cheaper. The Unit was $25 and seems like it will be easy enough to use except for one problem. I can't find a matching wiring harness on my 93 Explorer. I found the harness right near the window washer/ radiator overflow tank on the drivers side but it has 4 prongs and is a different shape. My 92 Ranger has an identical capped plug to the Explorers. This reader is supposed to work on these models but I'm wondering if I need an adaptor or something. Am I even looking at the right plug? Thanks, rc

Found it

I did a search and found where the computer connector is, but can somebody tell me what the other connector is for? Thanks, rc

There should be a connector on your code reader for the separate single wire connection - this is the "Self Test Input" connector and basically tells the ECM that you want to chat.....

For others considering the purchase of a code reader - check out your local tool-mongers (SnapOn, MAC, et al). Often, they will take pre-OBDll scan tools in trade or know of someone willing to part with one for some beer money. Sometime in the late '80s or early '90s (sorry, can't remember the exact model year - maybe Mike can flesh that out for us), Ford gave us access to some of the live data stream. Some of these scan tools even had some troubleshooting software built in. Definitely worth a peek, in my book.

Back