HELP PLEASE 1996 Ford Explorer overdrive problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP PLEASE 1996 Ford Explorer overdrive problems

mssunshine72

Reaction score
City, State
monroe ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 4.0 4x4 auto
Hi I have a 1996 ford explorer 4.0 4x4. I just had the transmission replaced for the 2nd time & still experiencing problems. I keep getting code p0761 (shift solenoid "c" performance or stuck off). Even after replacing tranny. My overdrive is not working. Is there a wire or plug or something outside of the tranny that might be giving me the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Hi I have a 1996 ford explorer 4.0 4x4. I just had the transmission replaced for the 2nd time & still experiencing problems. I keep getting code p0761 (shift solenoid "c" performance or stuck off). Even after replacing tranny. My overdrive is not working. Is there a wire or plug or something outside of the tranny that might be giving me the problem?

I know this thread is old, but they never received helped and I have this problem...actually...

I have the EXACT same problem as the OP. I have rebuilt tranny, new solenoids and Overdrive doesn't turn on. I would love to know what the trouble is, as I have done electrical testing, replaced tranny, solenoids as mentioned above and I have flushed tranny fluid and added new clean fluid. Anyone know a solution?

Red, You will need a transmission wiring schematic for your year and model transmission, likely a 4R44E or 4R55E. With that diagram, you can open the wiring harness knowing which electrical lead feeds solenoid C. That can be accomplished most easily close to the computer itself, under the hood. That wire when grounded, will turn the solenoid "on". You can either run the vehicle on jackstands, or route two wires to a switch carried with you in the cab, one wire grounded, the other connected to the correct wire in the harness. If all is working correctly in the transmission, slowly running speed up until it shifts from 1 to 2, then 2 to 3, at that point closing the switch will turn on solenoid c, and shift the trans. into 4th. gear, which should be seen on the tach as an rpm drop. If it shifts, a fault exists either in the PCM, or in the wiring harness or it's connectors.

Wiring diagram MAY be found in:

http://akpp.in.ua/files/program/FORD/4R44E.pdf

imp

Red, You will need a transmission wiring schematic for your year and model transmission, likely a 4R44E or 4R55E. With that diagram, you can open the wiring harness knowing which electrical lead feeds solenoid C. That can be accomplished most easily close to the computer itself, under the hood. That wire when grounded, will turn the solenoid "on". You can either run the vehicle on jackstands, or route two wires to a switch carried with you in the cab, one wire grounded, the other connected to the correct wire in the harness. If all is working correctly in the transmission, slowly running speed up until it shifts from 1 to 2, then 2 to 3, at that point closing the switch will turn on solenoid c, and shift the trans. into 4th. gear, which should be seen on the tach as an rpm drop. If it shifts, a fault exists either in the PCM, or in the wiring harness or it's connectors.

Wiring diagram MAY be found in:

http://akpp.in.ua/files/program/FORD/4R44E.pdf

imp

Hey Imp, thanks for the response. I have already checked all the wiring previously, did a test through the PCM, and no issues from that. I have two PCM's, both tested and functional. I appreciate the link, but when I open it, it is in russian, and there is no diagram. I tried translating it, but that didn't help so much.

I will try the other wiring testing you stated, I have not tried that yet. Not sure exactly what you mean, but I will reread it and try to follow what you stated.

Back