• Register Today It's free!

Help Please? 1998 Ford Explorer

rscharton

Reaction score
City, State
fresno, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi, my name is Bob I live in Fresno, Ca. I have a 1998 Ford Explorer sohc V6.
When I turn the key to try and start it the radio , lights etc all work....But it will not turn over no click click no NOTHING!......I took the battery out of another vehicle that I know is good and .....Nothing, so I guess that rules out the battery. Although I can fix things if I know whats wrong I suck at finding what that wrong thing is. Can anyone give me a clue as to where to start with this and maybe whats the most likely thing that may be causing this? I drove the car to the store this morning and no troubles of any kind. I would really appreciate any ideas? I can,t afford to have it taken to the dealer.
Thank you for your concideration, Bob:(

Hit your starter a few times with a hammer and see if it starts.

Sometimes it's the simple things. Try putting the key in the ignition to the start position so that you can move the shifter. move it back and forth in and out of park. It could be just the shifter is off a tad. this happened to my ex mother-in-law all the time, just had to jiggle the shifter a bit. Hopefully that's all it is. If not it could be a starter gone bad but not sure if they can be working fine one day then totally dead the next.

I had the same problem for a while. Doubt you're having the same issue, but my starter lines were corroded. They would let enough of the current through to run my huge sound system even, but when I turned the key, absolutely nothing. Before I replaced em, if I wiggled em around, eventually it would start.

Back