HELP - PLEASE - fuel line quick disconnect when tool won't disconnect? ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP - PLEASE - fuel line quick disconnect when tool won't disconnect? ??

meyek91974

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky - Let me no f u r nearby
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer 2wd Edd.B
How can I remove the fuel line from the gas tank fuel pump when using the disconnect tool does not work? The fitting will rotate and can push back and forth about one-sixteenth of an inch but will not pull off no matter how I try. I just replaced the fuel filter and had to quick disconnect lines there which work fine however the fuel line at the top of the gas tank at the fuel pump will not release no matter what I do. Please help with tips

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are just replacing the fuel pump, you do not need to disconnect this. Just lower the tank and pull out the fuel pump and level sender assembly and replace the fuel pump. If you are replacing the whole assembly, and need to disconnect the coupling, are you using the metal disconnect tools, they work much better than the plastic ones? Also, try one size smaller and see if that helps. The tool has to push the spring to the outside so the metal flare on the other side can be pulled out. Also, I am sure you have tried penetrant or lubricant as well.

What the guy above me said. Also try pulling the line all the way in to take any pressue off the spring before you insert the releasing tool

I don't bother to remove the fuel line from the top of the tank anymore. You can remove the assembly from the tank w/out disconnecting the fuel line. Then just drape the assembly over the leaf spring to work on replacing the pump. There's no reason to replace the FP assembly unless your fuel gauge is not working. Otherwise it's a waste of money to replace the entire assembly.

Trying to release the fuel line from the assembly is a major PITA. Worse than replacing the fuel filter, mainly because you have no way to stop things from moving around. I've done it with a 3/8's metal disconnect tool, but it wasn't easy. Probably took me 2 hours, before I found the right tool. The 5/16" tool that works well on the fuel filter did not work for me on the tank end.

Under the left rear seat there's a 9"x9" panel cutout right over the top opening of the fuel tank pump opening. I have been trying to do the job without dropping the tank as its 3/4 full. If I could get this loose, I can pull out fuel pump

Under the left rear seat there's a 9"x9" panel cutout right over the top opening of the fuel tank pump opening. I have been trying to do the job without dropping the tank as its 3/4 full. If I could get this loose, I can pull out fuel pump

Well, a 3/8" metal disconnect tool pushed-in while pushing both sides of the fitting together is your best bet. Good luck.

Back