Help Please - No Reverse or Drive But 1&2 Work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Please - No Reverse or Drive But 1&2 Work

lexi3123

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4.0 Sport Explorer
We have run into a strange problem with our Explorer. It is a 1999 4.0L with auto 4x4. While driving it just slipped out of gear, and the overdrive light was flashing. Its quickly fixed itself, but did it again shortly after. After doing this a few times, it did not recover. The truck was driven home in 2nd gear.

Now when you put it in reverse or drive it seems like it is not fully engaged. It will rev and move very slowly. This happens whether overdrive is on or off. It drives perfectly when put in 1st or 2nd. You can also drive the truck in 2nd til up to speed, pop it into drive with the overdrive OFF and it will drive just fine until you slow down to first gear again, at that point you have to start over. When switched into drive with overdrive on, it will just rev out.

:( Has anyone faced this problem before?

UPDATE:

Suddenly the truck is working normal again. Drive and reverse are there. I am assuming it has something to do with the act of shifting to and from P&R

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the overdrive light was flashing it stored a code on the computer, have the codes pulled and thatll tell you whats wrong.
Btw, have you checked the fluid level in the trans?

Transmission fluid is fine.

Same problem

Just noticed it tonight. As I was pulling onto the interstate ramp. If in drive and you rev the engine up, then it will move very slow. Reverse same problem. Checked for codes and nothing. Any fix yet ?

Looks like its a rebuild. Took it to a couple different places. I don't understand it though. If you go from P to D or R then nothing. The engine just rev's up. But if you go from P to 1 or 2 and roll forward just a bit, then to R it works fine. But D will only work once you get to 30-35mph in 2, and if the OD is off. If on D will not work at all.

Before you rebuild you might want to replace the valve body gaskets, they are know to go bad and cause similar issues. Kinda a shot in the dark but its a $100 job if you do it yourself compared to over $2k for a trans rebuild.

i have a 5r55w tranny, but having the same problem as you. today i dropped my valve body and noticed the band is cracked in 3 pieces. might not be your problem, but it could be something to look at.

I have pulled the codes on this truck, I only got three, two irrelevant. Although now I have no idea what to do with this code. There is no information that I can find, other than replace the damn thing.

I believe it was code P0720. And I got fuel lean codes on both banks.

Code P0720 is related to rear output shaft speed sensor.

looking at mine again, i had mistaken another part for a band and it's supposed to look that way i think. so, still looking for a solution to my problem. will rebuild it soon if i can't figure out a different, cheaper, quicker solution.

On way home from work today, I felt a jerk from the rear end. OD off light started blinking. Plugged the scanner in and no codes. Then I tried the continuous memory option on the scanner under the Ford/Mazda option.

I then read to codes for Gear 1 and 4 incorrect ratio.

Living in Iowa right now, and don't have access to a adequate place to mess around with it myself. I found a local transmission place that will take a look at the gaskets and solenoids for me.

Sorry I need to correct my post. The code I pulled from the transmission was not the one I listed above. I got the intermittent signal from the rear shaft speed sensor.

I don't know about the states, but here in AB Canada, a rebuilt transmission would cost me about $3000. I only paid $600 for the truck, so I definitely won't be doing that. I believe a replacement of that sensor will fix the issue.

The truck sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It will reverse or drive in D, but doesn't seem like it is fully engaging. It works best when the transmission has heated up a bit, and if the wheel is turned slightly. Strange, but thats how she goes! I'll post when the sensor has been replaced!

No Reverse and Drive

I had lost first (in D position),Reverse worked fine, Manual 1 and 2 worked fine. I tore it apart looking to find a bad rear sprag clutch, it was bad and I replaced it. After putting it all back together I have no First (in D) or Reverse, they both seem to pull a little but are slipping. Manual 1 and 2 work great. Did not drive it at faster speeds to see if 4th or 5th work. I am hoping for a blown valve body gasket but wont know till I have time to pull the pan down. Keep us posted of what you find and I will do the same.

Replaced the sensor, and all it proceeded to do was flash the OD light again. so strange, maybe the valve body/gaskets. That is above my head and i would have to take it to a shop. until then, we will just keep driving it, manual 2 to drive at 60km/hr (w/ od off) then up to 80km/hr turn on the OD. Pain in the butt!

JMHO...I'd believe you have a problem with your overdrive. 5R tranny has to have a good OD unit to take off in Drive. could be your OD sprag, your OD servo, or maybe band adjustment on the OD unit.
probably not the sprag if you have OD when you shift up manually.

This is more likely the overdrive sprag.

The sprag must hold for all engagements both forward and reverse, the reason why the transmission engages in manual low and manual second is the coast clutch is applied. When the coast clutch is applied it holds the same part that the overdrive sprag drives (overdrive planet). The overdrive sprag is not needed for overdrive because the overdrive band hold the drum and the sprag overrides.

attachment.php

No Drive or Reverse

I pulled my trans out and took it apart to find a bad overdrive sprag. Then I turn on my computer and see your posts. You guys are good!
Anyone know how to separate the overdrive assembly when the sprag has grenaded and locked up from 4 wheel drive burnouts?

Okay I'm going to re open this thread because I have the same exact problem. No reverse or drive after she warms up but 1 and 2 work fine. I pulled the p0720 code last night. Any help would be appreciated I would love to get this beauty on the road. If its a new tranny in line so be it. I just don't want to spend hundreds when it could be the vb gasket or something stupid. Thanks in advance

i also just happened with this same problem, was the od sprag the only issue and solved the problem or was a full rebuild in order? whats involved with replacing the od sprag?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OD sprag

The transmission has to come out to replace the OD sprag. Then the bellhousing/pump has to come off. Then the front drum and band.Then you can pull out the front planetary and one way clutch(sprag) assembly.
A bad sprag will be bad, cold warm or hot. If someone has this problem only when cold or hot it may be something else. The O/D Sprag should be pressed in the part in the first picture below. It was not, it was stuck on the part in the second picture. The third picture is the sprag.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 16,023
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 16,002
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 15,098

Back