• Register Today It's free!

Help Please Which TPS to Buy

MonsterGarage

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer EB, 4.6,4x4
I am not 100% sure I need the TPS yet, but I am about 90% certain it is the culprit; I just need more time to play and diagnose.

I have read a lot of the threads on this subject.

Which TPS would you buy:
Motorcraft DY-1164 or the ECHLIN (don't have model # handy at the moment) from Napa?

Local Canadian crook Ford dealers want $208-$220 Cdn for the Motorcraft part, while I see it listed for $60-90 USD (plus shipping) online in the US.

Echlin part from Napa is easily available and only costs $105 Cdn with my employer discount. I have heard that Echlin makes good parts, but I also know Ford updated the TPS a couple times. I want one that will be reliable, but don't want to wait if I don't have to.

I do have a 3rd vehicle that wife can use while waiting for fix, but I don't want this to drag on more than a week or so.

Symptoms of the truck failure:

I was driving the truck on highway and noticed a bit of surging when I let off the throttle. Almost seemed like transmission dragging at first, these Fords have quirky trannys, right?

But it threw a code (wrench on MFI display) a few minutes later.

A couple minutes after that, as I rounded the last bend into my city limits, the truck stalled at highway speed. I coasted into the local tire shop and was fortunate to find mechanic working late. Did a quick diagnosis on charging system (battery symbol showing when truck died) and confirmed good power standby on batt.

Started truck and voltage still good, but truck running rough and missing / stumbling, sounded pretty lousy.

Confident the truck would get me home, I limped it home. Cheap-o OBDII scanner showed code P2135, which I could not find explanation of listed in guide book.

Looked P2135 up online and it shows " P2135 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A/B voltage correlation" twice, but no other codes.

I plan on cleaning MAF, TB, testing the TPS for deadspots and proper range.

I am aware of the excessive locktite and the need to heat the bolts to replace TPS

Any other tips anyone can offer?

I have been having a hard time figuring out which terminal is which on the TPS so if anyone can help me on which is which, it will save me some time trying to look up wiring diagrams, or poking around and risking a short and frying the computer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great link, I hadn't found that one yet. Much appreciated.

I am on the lookout for a better OBDII reader that does live value. Can anyone recommend anything in particular? I am also open to the idea of a computer program that does the same that I can install into windows based laptop or tablet.

So anyone have any feedback on the two TPS parts listed?

Thanks.

Motorcraft TPS on order from the USA. (I want to have this on hand anyway if it turns out to be something else.)

Anyone have any help to offer on what the different wires are on 4 wire TPS used by the 4th gen explorer? Searching did not yield much help for me.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Update: I have the new part but never installed it. Cleaned the MAF, TB, verified range / no dead spots in range of TPS, cleaned the electrical connections and inspected the wiring.

I put it all back together and no further issues so far.

if you have an android phone.... get a $15 bluetooth obdII dongle from amazon/ebay... and use the torque app.. does everything any other scanner can do and more....if you have an iphone you need a wifi obdII dongle but I dont know what is a good app for apple... I think you also need the $45 BS tool to go through the re-learn process of the tpms sensor

Back