Help!!! plug swap problems

tt801

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
Hi,

I hope somebody can help. I have a '98 2wd explorer 4.0l SOHC and I replaced the spark plugs today with Autolite double platinum APP103 and the air filter.

When I finished the job and fired the car up it started to run really rough, like it was misfiring. I'd had a tough time getting the plug leads off so assumed I damaged a couple so swapped all the spark plug wires too thinking this would solve the problem.

However it's now even worse and the 'check engine' light has now come on, I really hope someone can help as this is my only mode of transport.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

I'm not sure, how do I find out?

Thanks

Unfortunatley I don't have either, is there any other way for me to figure out what the problem is? or do I need to take it do my local dealer.

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it

Advance Auto or other parts stores will pull them for free!!!!

Most parts stores have a code reader and will pull your codes with the anticipation they can sell u parts. Its also nice to buy your own, they are under a $100.

Thanks mawrazen, that sounds like a good idea. The only problem is that I can't get anywhere at the moment as this is my only transport, is there anything else that I can check?

Thanks

Be sure the wires are firmly attached to the plugs as well as the coil pack.

Good luck ....

Thanks aldive, I've checked them and they all seem tight and secure, I've no idea what's caused it.

Could it be a faulty plug (even though they are new)? is there any way to check this without removing them all again.

Could you have possibly messed up the firing order on the coil pack?

No, I was worried about that so I removed them and replaced them 1 at a time so there was no chance of mixing it up. The rough running was also there prior to changing the wires.

It doesn't seem to make any sense, I suppose the code would point out at least where the problem is.

Thanks again, I appreciate it's very difficult to diagnose things like this without being there.

Did you gap the plugs before you installed them? Even plugs listed as being a direct fit for your vehicle need to be gapped before they are installed. If so, are you sure you didn't accidentally ding the plugs putting them in and close up the gap? (been there, done that..caused the vehicle to run like crap).

Thanks for the link for the codes I'll have a look.

I did gap the plugs (0.054 inch) prior to putting them back in and don't remember dropping them but suppose I could have, I guess I'll just have to start again tomorrow and remove them all one by one recheck the gap and put them back in.

Thanks for the advice

The rough running was also there prior to changing the wires.

Then I would (personally) move on to find the real source, if it was there before you replaced plugs/wires, and is still there, the problem is elsewhere, I would look at coil pack next. (after checking codes for something obvious, of course)

Check all of you vacuum lines!

Its probably not the new plugs but a vacuum line that was knocked off during the new plug installation. I had a similar problem after doing some work under the hood. Look at the tree and check for loose or diconnected lines from there.

If thats the problem, its a quick fix!

:cool:

Hi Mawrazen, thanks for the vacuum post, sorry to pester you but where abouts should I be looking for a disconnected hose?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Its probably not the new plugs but a vacuum line that was knocked off during the new plug installation. I had a similar problem after doing some work under the hood. Look at the tree and check for loose or diconnected lines from there.

If thats the problem, its a quick fix!

:cool:

^^X2 - I've also done that before on different vehicles. I haven't done the plugs in my 98 X yet, but it looks like there might be a piece or 2 you have to remove or get out of your way to get the job done. Also, I've sold parts for years at AZ and I've seen some spark plug wiresets come in that have been smashed a little and the end that goes on the plug might be flattened a little. If you take the wires back off, look inside the ends of each wire and make sure they're OK. Maybe even check to make sure they "snap" onto one of your old plugs. Try a little dielectric grease in the ends of the wires to help with a good connection.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Rottie, I'll re check the wires visually to make sure they snap on correctly and haven't been damaged.

I've just had a quick look for disconnected vacuum hoses and can't see any, but I started the engine and can hear a sucking noise, I'm not sure if this is normal or not?

Could you tell me where I should be looking for disconnected hoses?

Thanks

Back