• Register Today It's free!

help plz.. 96 exp xlt 5.0

96exp5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Mount joy, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt awd
I recently bought a explorer with a 5.0 which had a bad tyranny. Replaced tranny with wha a 98 tranny started it and it ran great for like 5 seconds and then lost power has no throttle response backfires out exhaust. Turn key off start it again and it Russian great for three seconds again and same thing. It idles fine if you run the rpms up slowly it seems better but if you try to do it fast forget it. I replaced crank angle ,position sensor,wires,plugs,vacuum solenoid, egr sensor, fuel pressure checked outchecked out great, replaced fuel filter. I don't know what's wrong plz help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also replaced exhaust and cats. First 3 seconds it always runs great then its like a switch is flipped and it runs terrible.

Also not reporting any codes except for the four transmisson codes which i have a wiring problem and need to rewire plug to work because the 98 trans has different plug.
P0743 P0750 P0755 P1747

If the fuel pressure is all there it sounds like a mass air flow sensor issue.

If the fuel pressure is all there it sounds like a mass air flow sensor issue.

Replaced that with another one and that don't work forgot to mention that. Fuel pressure is at 40 with regulator disconnected with it connected its about 32 at idle when driving it goes from 32 to 40 depending on throttle position. als when it start missing and carrying on fuel pressure holds the same numbers as stated above.

Dead Link Removed

Some info here

Dead Link Removed

Well it was a long day had to remove passenger side manifold and remove to ewo studs that broke while taking off down pipes. removed tranny harness and checked all wires and they were repinned exactly right only thing was that the 2 extra 12v+ wires that i didnt need i never hooked them back up or capped them, so i tied all three 12v+ wires together now. Got manifold reinstalled,down pipes hooked up just have to tighten them tomorrow, hooked tranny harness and o2 sensors backup. tomorrow i will reinstall my flowmaster exhaust and hit the key. HOPEFULLY it wont throw any codes and not start backfiring and lose power after 3 seconds HOPEFULLY.... I'm praying before i goto bed tonight. Thanks for all the input and help. I will report back tomorrow.

well after going over trans harness and going off diagram wires are all hooked up correct and tied all 3 12v+ wires together and bam same thing.. P0743 P0750 P0755
P1747.. And after a couple seconds it starts running like crap, turn it off and start it right back up runs great for couple seconds and starts running like crap again. I dont know where to go frome here.

I recently bought a explorer with a 5.0 which had a bad tyranny. Replaced tranny with wha a 98 tranny started it and it ran great for like 5 seconds and then lost power has no throttle response backfires out exhaust. Turn key off start it again and it Russian great for three seconds again and same thing. It idles fine if you run the rpms up slowly it seems better but if you try to do it fast forget it. I replaced crank angle ,position sensor,wires,plugs,vacuum solenoid, egr sensor, fuel pressure checked outchecked out great, replaced fuel filter. I don't know what's wrong plz help.
Welcome to the world of electronic controls. 98 Trans in a 96? I would guess there are different control parameters involved, and that is way above my head.

Welcome to the world of electronic controls. 98 Trans in a 96? I would guess there are different control parameters involved, and that is way above my head.

Well Its suppose to be able to work with some rewiring but so far no good.

Thanks Turdle those are my codes and pretty much exactly what mine is doing. I will pull the plug off tomorrow and get my telescoping mirror up there and see if any pins are bent or missing. It makes me sick how much money i spent replcing parts under the hood trying to figure this out. I didnt realize these codes would make the engine run crappy. Thanks report back tomorrow.

Well went to work put explorer up in the air and checked the harness for broken pins stuck in it was none broke off in harness check the pins on the transmisson and none are bent or boke off. Cleared codes and started it up check engine light stayed off motor had good throttle response for about 3 seconds and it started missing and getting sluggish poprd through exhaust a couple times. Then popping stopped but it seems like it was running on 6 cylinders. I shut it off hooked up obd2 and had 5 codes p1747 p0743 p0750 p0755 and p0402. So i checked for broken egr vacum lines I already replaced solenoid and the thing on top the egr valve so i replaced rubber boot that hooks to solenoid and tryed it again this time it didnt spit the p0402 code. Just the 4 tranny codes seems to be running better but still seems like it runs on 6 cylinders after the initial start up. I am baffled why does it keep giving the 4 tranny codes? Even with the tranny codes why would the engine run like its down a couple cylinders 3 seconds after initial start up? This is driving me insane...

Fixed it today thank you for all the input and help. Problem was diagram that tocca forums show its not actually the view of looking into the harness its the view of looking into the transmisson plug.

Back