HELP - Popping noise on hills after a transfer case rebuild | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP - Popping noise on hills after a transfer case rebuild

transfer case reply

The inside of my transfer case has 2 (chain linked) gears on the front toward the transmission, side-by-side. One of them drives the rear, but I don't recall which. I don't think you can isolate the one toward the front but it might be possible. Sorry, I should have thought about it when I posted.

I'll stick it on my to-do list to see if I can get my mech/guy to let me have a look at his "proprietary" manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my explorer is doing the same theing but mine is a 95 4.0 5spd 4x4 and i know its not the tranny but when mine pops going up a hill i just downsift and it goes away but mine seems to be in the transfer case.. its like the clutches in the transfer case engage then disengage

So the tranny shop pulled and checked the transfer case again, and had a the owner/colleague from another shop check it too. They also checked the front and rear gears. No problems found. Again, they did all of this at no charge... yeap, zero cost to me. They are dropping the tranny now and checking it.... will write more this weekend.

Noise fixed

Well, Stegalls torn down the tranny, replaced one spring, installed new seals, and reinstalled it in the Exploder. Unfortunately, they found nothing.

So they acquired another transfer case, rebuilt it, and installed it. This solved the problem

So for those keeping score, Stegall's Transmissions, between Easley and Greenville, SC, rebuilt the transfer case 5 times, checked the front and rear gears, and rebuilt the transmission for ~$625. Then they rebuilt and installed another transfer case for another $600. The new case has another warranty.

The problematic case is being disected by them and another tranny shop to find the source of the popping noise...It's become a challenge.

They ever figure out the problem? I was talking to a mechanic about a similar problem, he seemed to think it might be play between the sun gear and planetary gears in the tcase.

My popping noise disappeared when I replaced the transfer case with a used one.
I know the problem was caused because the transfer case (in my 99 5.0 AWD) uses a chain to drive the front end. The chain (in the transfer case) was stretched and so 'popped' (slipped gear cog) on acceleration, hills etc..

Anyone ever figure out this problem?
I have had the transmission rebuilt and then torn down 3 times. The transfer case rebuilt (kept used chain) and then swaped for a low milage TC and pop and high speed vibration still there.

I noticed at high speeds 70 mph+ the transfer case will vibrate, at 90 it is very noticiable. ( DL OP angles are good and both drivelines are new dennys drive shafts) If just install the front driveline the vibration is gone or reduced alot, I don't know about the poping as I did not drive long on just the front shaft.

I isolated the transfer case by removing both drivelines and running it slowly up to 4000 rpms and can feel and hear the vibration. I can also see the TC vibrate. The motor and trans mounts are new as well.

It's either the chain, planetary gear set, or mainshafts?

The trans shop and myself had both transfer cases apart on the bench and both planetary sets looked very good.

Main shafts seemed to be fine. Don't see how this would be the problem, no real wear on the shafts as the bearings take all the wear.

I will try a new chain and gears ~ $200 as it is very difficult if not close to impossible to tell how much the chain is stretched outside of measuring it or it is dragging on the case.

Anyone have anymore info?

Back