HELP!!! Radio install in 03 XLT!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! Radio install in 03 XLT!!!

1tufgt

Reaction score
City, State
Bluegrass St.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Sport Trim
Ok I just pulled the radio out of my 2003 Explorer XLT and I noticed that there are 2 connecters that connect to the radio. One is your main harness for all your speakers, power, and etc... then there is another connector beside it that has 2 wires coming out of it. Is this to a sub?? I believe the radio is the premium radio w/ cassette. So this harness I buy from best buy only has one connector for which it is used for the speakers, power and etc... I asked best buy if they carry the premium wire harness and they said no. How do I go about installing that other connector? HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

I also asked a friend about it and he said his radio had the same 2 connectors but the other connector (with just 2 wires), where ite was plugged into the radio didn't have any pins sticking out of it but my headunit there were pins sticking out of it.

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?? Do I have to get the premium harness?

I just don't understand what wires would hook up to it from my alpine harness.

If i remember correctly the wires are yellow? If so the other harness is for the steering wheel audio controls. I didn't have them so it wasn't an issue. Just leave the harness hanging. If you do have the steering wheel controls i don't know what to tell you. :confused:
Another thing...don't ask the 17 year olds at Bestbuy what to do.

My 01 had the same thing as you describe and the extra wires were for the audio controls for the back seat.

Gryz said:
My 01 had the same thing as you describe and the extra wires were for the audio controls for the back seat.

Hmm, never thought of that. So what did you do??

Your aftermarket harness will not plug into it, and you will lose your rear seat radio functions.

There might be a way to splice into the harness to make them work, but I never used them and did not really care.

Back