Help re Hood Replacement - White 97 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help re Hood Replacement - White 97 EB

bobflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
I need to replace the hood on my white 1997 EB; I plan to use JY part. I assume that I can use the hood from any white 1995-1999 Explorer. It does NOT have to be an EB, correct?? Can I use the hood from a Sport of the same vintage??
Thanks in Advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes- they are all the same. Any 1995-2001 Explorer 4 door, or 1995-2000 2-door.

Yes- they are all the same. Any 1995-2001 Explorer 4 door, or 1995-2000 2-door.

Thanks once again Joe! Just picked up new JY hood - $45 from Pull-A-Part. BTW, the cruise switches you sold me work like a charm!!

:thumbsup:

Excellent! Nice find on the hood too!

sorry to step on your toes joe, but dont the 95-97 have a different way of mounting the latch, or is the latch its self just different?

You are right,
I believe in 98? was when they swapped latch designs so based on what year you got you may need to swap over latch assemblies. The newer ones you pop the hood via the gap between the top of the grill and the hood, and the older ones you reach through the grill.

The latch for the earlier trucks is inside the grille, the latch for the later trucks in between the hood and header. I had swapped a 2000 hood onto Shamrock ('97) and was still able to use the same latch, unless that was a mid-year switch. I thought it was just the location of the trip lever, not the point of contact for the latch itself on the hood... :dunno:

Joe, you may be right, I just know that the styles of latch are different.

I'll have to look next time I'm at the yard, probably tomorrow... Now I'm curious... :D

I'll have to look next time I'm at the yard, probably tomorrow... Now I'm curious... :D

All I bought was the hood - the latch was on the body of the vehicle. Are y'all saying that the part attached to the hood would be different? If they are, can i just use the part off the old hood??

'96 Hood

Anyone have a guess how much a hood weighs???
thanks

Anyone have a guess how much a hood weighs???
thanks

Now that I have swapped one out, I'd SWAG it at 40-50 lbs or so. I can move it around myself, but would not have wanted to try and remove/install it alone.

Hey Bob

Thanks for the response. That's about my best guess. I need to paint mine and am thinking that it would be easier overall to just take it off and spray it.
Thanks again, GeorgeR

Back