Help removing scratches from interior plastic? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help removing scratches from interior plastic?

dawgvet

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT 4WD
I was hoping someone on here would have some tips on removing a few scratches from the interior plastic, mainly the dark grey/black interior pieces. We bought our '13 used and I would like some tips on some way to smooth out some scratches and shallow gouges in the plastic. I thought about using the tip of a clothes iron to heat the plastic but wondered if there were any products or tips for doing this? Mainly on the hard plastic pieces that are on the inside of the rear hatch and around the door/inside pillars.
Any tips appreciated.
Thanks
Jed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was hoping someone on here would have some tips on removing a few scratches from the interior plastic, mainly the dark grey/black interior pieces. We bought our '13 used and I would like some tips on some way to smooth out some scratches and shallow gouges in the plastic. I thought about using the tip of a clothes iron to heat the plastic but wondered if there were any products or tips for doing this? Mainly on the hard plastic pieces that are on the inside of the rear hatch and around the door/inside pillars.
Any tips appreciated.
Thanks
Jed
I haven't had this issue myself but I don't think I'd use a iron. I don't believe the surfaces are completely smooth but a hot iron would probably leave a smooth melted patch. If you are certain that you want to go that route, I'd probably use a small tipped solder iron. I'm sure that there are products that can be used to fill any cracks you have in the plastic and perhaps even texture it a little. Maybe a local hardware store may help or check with a body shop in the area.
Good luck with this Jed. Maybe someone else will jump in with some advice.

Peter

An automobile upholstery shop can fill the gouges and respray so the panels look brand new

+1
try Vasaline.

i hit the glove box with my fingernail and scratched it, rubbing or cleaning does'nt fix it, and it goes below the surface of the "texture".
Also someone scratched the roof air vent border in the 2nd row trying to use it without looking.
All done with fingernails.

I have eaten pastries that are tougher than this.

Im using Vinylx for the interior-it helps but a grey scratch remains where it was scratched and showed white at first.

I would say get touch up paint or colored vinyl repair or coating and use that with a very fine applicator, and fill in the large scratches, or find a surface coating made for this, that will fill in everywhere you wipe.
But chemicals all over interior plastic generally isnt good...
Many articles online about scratch filler for interiors.

Seriously a frozen stick of butter has a tougher surface....
...man never again black, never ever...grey or tan is the way to go
if the shade is not too light.

Some real world interior scratch tips on Toyota forum

repair interior scratches

Some tips including heat gun and marker wiping with some pics

Removing scratches from the plastic?

The plastic on the side of my trunk has gotten some scratches from moving my stroller in and out of the trunk. I am wondering how can I get the scratches out?

I'm guessing that you are talking about the interior panels. With that in mind, I merged your thread with this existing one. Good luck.

Peter

The plastic on the side of my trunk has gotten some scratches from moving my stroller in and out of the trunk. I am wondering how can I get the scratches out?

My Explorer is a work truck and I load and unload a lot of equipment. These kinds of scratches just happen and there is really no way to get rid of them. Trying something just makes them worse. Just know that this will happen over the life of a vehicle and learn to live with them.

If Ford would cover those panels in the rear like they are in my Murano, then you wouldn't get scratches. But bare plastic is going to scratch.

I know this is a fairly old thread, But I too have lite use scuff marks all over my rear interior plastic side walls since buying new in 2012. I'm really disappointed in Fords approach to the plastic formulation for these panels when there really is no reason for these panels to become so easily scuffed. In fact on the doors lower plastic panels they are much more resilient/scuff resistant than the rear panels and obviously are designed from a higher quality plastic. The rear side panels can be scratched using your finger nail with light pressure. I've always taken pride in keeping our vehicles looking showroom new, but its impossible with this material design. In fact most of my scuff marks are from traveling with soft sided luggage and even that material if it touches the side panels during transport the luggage will leave marks just from road vibrations, very frustrating that ford thinks this is acceptable. the scuffs appear a very light gray against the darer gray, but when wet they almost disappear. Armour-all will mask but not keep the scuffs from reappearing. My color is a dark gray. Has anyone had success at removing or masking these marks permanently, other than painting. I know I'm a little on the **** side about our interior and hoping someone here is as well with a solution. If the response is crickets chirping, then I know I'm on my own.

+1
try Vasaline.

i hit the glove box with my fingernail and scratched it, rubbing or cleaning does'nt fix it, and it goes below the surface of the "texture".
Also someone scratched the roof air vent border in the 2nd row trying to use it without looking.
All done with fingernails.

I have eaten pastries that are tougher than this.

Im using Vinylx for the interior-it helps but a grey scratch remains where it was scratched and showed white at first.

I would say get touch up paint or colored vinyl repair or coating and use that with a very fine applicator, and fill in the large scratches, or find a surface coating made for this, that will fill in everywhere you wipe.
But chemicals all over interior plastic generally isnt good...
Many articles online about scratch filler for interiors.

Seriously a frozen stick of butter has a tougher surface....
...man never again black, never ever...grey or tan is the way to go
if the shade is not too light.

Some real world interior scratch tips on Toyota forum

repair interior scratches

Some tips including heat gun and marker wiping with some pics

I really appreciate your repair links which I'll be trying this week. I couldn't agree more about your butter reference, you can look at the side panels and scratch them with your stare. Really disappointed in Ford Motor Company not providing a more durable surface material. Just a higher quality plastic would do the trick. Thanks again. The Heat gun repair sounds promising.

Back