Help request - is your hood latch painted body color | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help request - is your hood latch painted body color

safetyfast

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited Eco
Trying to determine if the hood on my new 2016 has been repainted. The hook on the underside of the hood is painted body color where it is bolted to the hood, but the rest of it is black. Is that normal? There's quite a bit of dust in the hood paint I've talked to the dealer about. I'm wondering if there was a some damage and it's been resprayed that might explain the dust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to determine if the hood on my new 2016 has been repainted. The hook on the underside of the hood is painted body color where it is bolted to the hood, but the rest of it is black. Is that normal? There's quite a bit of dust in the hood paint I've talked to the dealer about. I'm wondering if there was a some damage and it's been resprayed that might explain the dust.

Coming from an OEM engineer that has worked at two plants (Kia and Mercedes) I would say that the hood latch shouldn't be the same color.

When the assembly shop receives the painted bodys from the paint shop, minimal hardware is kept on the body. Only thing I've seen is hinges for the hood, doors, and liftgate/truck and the bolts used to attach these.

The fuel door is usually painted with the car but on a bracket attached and then later assembled to the body in the assembly shop.

The first line at an assembly shop is where the hardware is usually put on. This includes hood latch ring, body plugs, liftgate actuators, etc.

When in doubt, go to the dealer and pop the hood of the cars on the lot and see.

Yep, mine is mostly black with some white (body color) oversprayed onto it.

Sounds like it is normal then. I think the one on my mustang is all body color. Never seen one partially painted.

Back