• Register Today It's free!

Help! running board removal!

ab4x4WA

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer limited
so literally, like 4 minutes ago i nearly broke my hand. i was trying to remove the bolts on the running board but it was too damn rusty under there! i bought it from someone who lives in VA, and down there they salt the roads, thus the underside of my truck is engolfed, idk how to spell it, with rust, which has made the removal of my running boards nearly impossible, and causing me major hand injury. i sprayed all bolts with liquid wrench, WD40, how long do you think i should i wait to try again?

THANKS!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

use pb blaster spray youll have much better results =]

Yes, PB Blaster is the best penetrating oil I've used also, explorerguy89 is on the money. Do you have a torch? The best method for a rusted bolt, if penetrating oil don't do the job, is to heat the nut and melt some wax onto it. As it cools it pulls the wax into the threads works great. However some bolts just get so bad that they are going to break no matter what you do especially if the vehicle has been on salted roads. you may just need to use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a cheater pipe and a 6 point socet and snap the bolts. Not like you would reuse the bolts even if they came off.

x2... get a good grip, pull hard, snap the bolts. don't waste your time trying to actually back them out. Not worth the trouble.

Thanks for the advice! ill try the PB blaster first and if that doesnt work ill just snap em off

thanks!:thumbsup:

Back