Help::::Running rough and boiling over | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help::::Running rough and boiling over

ck5.0

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 Explorer AWD
The beast is having problems,

Well backgraound. Truck had a new serpentine belt put on that snapped, supposedly bc the AC condenser jammed causing it to boil over.
After time at the mechanic, new radiator, new condenser, new alternator, new belts the truck drove approx 3 miles started to run rough and boiled over again.
Mechanic now says, he does not know what the issue is.

Any insight? I think he messed up, possibly not bleeding the cooling system correctly and not admitting that they made a mistake. This was a new mechanic as don't have time to fix it due to work is working me to the bare bone.

Thanks.

:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thermostat sticking?

My initial thought was a blown head gasket. Have any oil and coolant mixing that you can see or white smoke out the tail pipe?

From far left field.....belt installed wrong?

Unlikely after just three miles, except perhaps in extremely hot weather. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with not bleeding properly. I have emptied and refilled the system many times and never had to bleed my 5.0L; just add a quart or so after driving.
I would add my vote to the blown gasket theory. If it's boiling over in just three miles, combustion products are probably getting into the coolant. Auto parts stores sell very inexpensive testers for that.

Thermostat sticking?

Thank you everyone for replying.

I will try this upcoming weekend to look into everyone's suggestions. Also, would the rough running be due to a head gasket?

If it is the head gasket. Is it easy to do? I have done all of the basic stuff brakes etc, bc the 5.0 never had any problems....
Or better have it sent out for this?

Often ignored, but you did not list a new radiator cap replacement. Try a new cap ;)

If the cap is weak it will allow premature pressure vent and boil over.
Also re check belt routing with diagram on the core support.

The rough running part is what's getting me. How bad is rough, overheating generally doesn't cause a horrible running truck. Maybe some detonation but not so much rough running. A head gasket can definitely cause a rough running truck as well as overheating, and no they are not easy to fix. Parts are cheap but labor will kill you.

Went back to the truck over the weekend and their looks to be some fluid in two cylinders and it was running better but quickly white smoke with a minor smell of antifreeze started to come out of the tailpipe.

So looks like it is the head gasket. Now looking for a mechanic in central NY, that could do it for a reasonable price or someone who does mechanic work on the side as I am in no rush. Plus, unable to do it at my apartment complex.

Went back to the truck over the weekend and their looks to be some fluid in two cylinders and it was running better but quickly white smoke with a minor smell of antifreeze started to come out of the tailpipe.

So looks like it is the head gasket. Now looking for a mechanic in central NY, that could do it for a reasonable price or someone who does mechanic work on the side as I am in no rush. Plus, unable to do it at my apartment complex.

Im in central NY and do backyard mechanics. I would of said yes but I just seen you have the 5.0 and I never have touched those so I wouldn't want to get into that. The 4.0ohv like I have is simple for head gaskets its just time consuming.

What do people think is best. One mechanic said to pull the engine and put one from the junk yard in. Is redoing the head that big that throwing a different engine is better?

What do people think is best. One mechanic said to pull the engine and put one from the junk yard in. Is redoing the head that big that throwing a different engine is better?

Pulling the engine is the best option IMO because a head gasket job will being it's own can of worms with it. Make sure to get an engine you can hear run first, preferably from the same year.

Back