• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!!! Sabotaged 97 explorer.

shuster21

Reaction score
City, State
san diego CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer OHV
Hey guys someone claims to have sabotaged my stock 97 explorer OHV. He says that if I drive my car the engine will be blown. How many different thing's could he have done that would ruin the motor if driven? Besides checking my fluids any syggestions on what to look for? I know this sounds ridiculous but please humor me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing that comes to mind is pouring sugar into
the fuel tank. Take a flashlight and magnifying glass
and look closely around the filler neck. There will be
sugar granules present if this was done.

Thanks to those who took a minute to help me out.i really appreciate it.so here's an update...found out that he did something to the electrical.Crossed up the pos+neg off the battery and connected it somewhere they didnt belong.(I know that's a pretty weak explanation. but I'll get the details later)Supposedlying if I drove it my headlights would start malfunctioning and soon after thatp my computer would get fried.If anyone has heard of anything like that please lemme know.Next as you guys guessed I got a few scoops of sugar in the tank.Luckily I didn't start the vehicle so I'm pretty sure all I gotta do is drop the tank and clean in out.I'll check out the links Rondo posted in a second.Lastly no I didn't and not going to call the police.I grew up in an environment where involving the cops usually caused more problems for everyone involved.

well if you're not gonna call the cops I would suggest investing in some rock salt rounds to give him a little persuasion next time he tries messing with your truck

also one other thing to worry about in your gas tank is bleach. i had a buddy do that to someone's car and it blew the original motor and after the new motor was in the car they never checked any of the lines or tank and it blew the second motor also

run down to the parts store and get a locking gas cap. it's not fail proof but it will at least deter someone

Was the truck unlocked? Otherwise hard for someone to get under the hood to mess with the battery connections. From what you've been told it sounds like the vandal was someone who really has no idea how cars work and was just going off what they thought would work.

Chances are the sugar in the tank won't do much of anything. Still, you may need to change your fuel filter at some point. Fortunately those are cheap. I doubt the vandal put bleach in the tank as it is not as well known of a sabotage, but if they did it will rust everything it contacts badly. The first gen Explorer has a plastic gas tank which helps, I'm not sure on the second gen but if it's still plastic then you mainly would need to worry about anything that gas was in contact with such as the fuel pump assembly.

I would drain the tank of fuel and put all fresh fuel in just to be safe.

On to things they actually could have done... check your oil level, hopefully they didn't drain your oil. Also check the transfer case if you have a 4WD model. If the fluid is drained from either of these it will be bad news if you drive your car before refilling them.

As for the electrical aspect, check under the hood. If the truck was locked the vandal may not have actually touched anything there. If not, look for anything out of the ordinary such as cut spark plug wires, connections unplugged, and so on. Check that the battery connections are tight; most battery connections require tools to remove so a vandal won't waste the time. Also check that the battery connections are red wire to positive terminal (+) and black wire to negative terminal (-).

I kind of get the vibe that whoever messed with your vehicle isn't exactly all there in the head, and a lot of what they are saying they did is just talk. Hopefully nothing has been majorly tampered with. The stuff you mentioned about headlights cutting out and the computer frying, is all baloney - it would happen immediately, if at all. The person who told you those things wants you to lose faith in the vehicle, and make you scared to drive it for fear of an unexpected failure.

Do NOT let this person have a second chance. If they have a mental disorder, maybe the cops can get them the help they need. If it is a violence thing, like drugs or alcohol induced, they are a bad person to ever be around and the cops may not be able to help. Put as much distance between you and them as you can, and keep it that way. Investing in a firearm as protection is a good idea, and while I'm not suggesting using it on someone, let them know that you have it and know how to use it.

A person's vehicle is as much their personal space as their home. If they invade your vehicle they might as well be invading your home, the way I look at it. This is nothing to mess around with.

Back