• Register Today It's free!

Help! short in lights?

Ryanc721

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
okay so i posted a thread about my odometer light going out from 0-40 that went out and then a week later came back on and now its out again....now i have a new problem...i took my car to jiffy lube...they said that my brake lights are out, but my tail lights work...so i took it home and my brake lights started working again....is there a short? if so, where is it? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and my defroster light comes on and off alot

wow noone can help?

Spedo light problem is just a burned out bulb - there are 6 that light the gauges. If you pull the cluster, I recommend replacing all of them at once. When a bulb is failing it can go on and off for a bit before dying completely.

As for the brake lights, could be a bad switch on the brake pedal, or a short somewhere. Take a look at the wiring harnesses behind the brake lights - particularly on the driver's side where the connection for the trailer lights is.

thank you so much!

where can i get the bulbs?

where can i get the bulbs?
Edit your ID profile so it shows where you're located, vehicle etc!!!

I am sure some of us are shacking our heads at this question. Unless you're in the outback hundreds, no thousands of mile from civilization they're available virtually any place that sells auto accessories such as oil, antifreeze batteries. One such place which may have eluded you is a franchise called WalMart. They seem to be everywhere from my experience. Specialized bulbs for the dash may not be carried. Check you owners manual, if you haven't read it read it. It lists all the bulb numbers you vehicle uses for each function.

I was extremely tough writing this. I initially ignored the question but gave you the benefit of the doubt.

I had a short with my 96. Brake lights would work sometime and defroster wouldn't work at all. My white back up lights would not work either. It was water in the tail light assembly. The water would short it out then dry out and work. I sealed the tail lights with silicone caulk. Its rained several times since then. Lights all still work and so does the rear defroster. Hope that helps.

Back