• Register Today It's free!

help! something grounding out?

viane

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport 4x4
my 92 explorer sport 4x4 is not starting. it keeps draining the battery or something. everything works in the car and i went to the store and when i came out the car wouldnt start. when i turned the key all i heard was a single click. im like why is the battery dead. so i take a battery from one of my other cars and it starts right up. come home and the next morning i try to start my explorer again. turn the key only hear a single click. so i hook up a battery charger and when i have the clamps on, the meter thing points to surge. so i dont know what the problem is? any info would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The link is to the Autozone page with schematics. You want figures 13 & 14.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1496440

Standard practice in this case, is to pull all the fuses in the power distribution box under the hood, then replace them one-by-one until you find the offending circuit. As you have changed the battery you have eliminated that as the most likely suspect, the starter relay, steering column starter switch, and shorted to chassis wires are likely suspects.

Try the troubleshooting with the fuses and ask questions if there are any difficulties or if you can't locate anything.

Something simpler to consider- The "single click" is often caused by a poor contact on a battery terminal. The act of turning the key causes an arc across the contact, burning the good spot, losing the contact, and making the battery appear dead. You may well have a mystery drain, but before you go ripping things apart, try this: Remove both battery clamps. Clean the clamps and battery posts well, with the prescribed tool, or a small wire brush. Reinstall the clamps and tighten well. Now try to start your truck. If that doesn't work, THEN go ahead with the surgery. I speak from experience. Mine did that a couple of times. I discovered my ground clamp was cracked, and therefore wouldn't tighte. New clamp, no problems. Cheers!

ya i found out that it was the terminal my positive was cracksed so i replaced it and it started right up. thanks

Back