help! spring-lock coupling on fuel rail will not disconnect! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help! spring-lock coupling on fuel rail will not disconnect!

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
This project is to replace the valve cover gaskets. I started this project thursday and have only gotten the driver's side gasket replaced.

I'm on the passenger side and cannot get the spring-lock coupling on the fuel supply line that connects to the fuel rail to disconnect. I have boughten the tool and I still cannot get the coupling undone. I even have the Haynes manual in front of me and still cannot do it.

The blue tool fits the best but will not completely close around it. So I put a clamp around it to try and close it to make to work and it still will not work.

I can get one half of the blue tool to fit into the coupling at a time, it won't slid in as one piece.

I've already put considerable amount of force on the line trying to get it undone. I'm afraid of breaking it.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

I was able to change out my fuel filter myself successfully, but I do not have any experience with this kind of connection.

I'm sort of in panic mode right now.

Is this a crappy tool to use? Are there better tools?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always just used the crappy plastic donut ones. Did you try pushing the two fuel lines together before inserting the tool. Sometimes it takes some back and forth motions while you're trying to release the spring.

I always just used the crappy plastic donut ones. Did you try pushing the two fuel lines together before inserting the tool. Sometimes it takes some back and forth motions while you're trying to release the spring.

Yes I did try pushing the two lines together while trying to disconnect it. No luck, I might just run back out to get a doughnut tool. I can wiggle the lies in and out of the coupling, but I'm afraid of getting to tight of a grip on the black fuel line, I don't want to smash or crimp it.

I'll be checking back here every 10 minutes or so, I'm going to go out to the garage and play with it a bit more. Although I have worked on it for about 25 minutes.:(

Thanks for the response, any one with experience with these please share.

Try a little penetrating lube on it. It can crust up around the spring and the tube making it hard to separate

Okay, it just came off.

A friend just came over and I was explaining to him my problem. And in the middle of me explaining the problem it just disconnected.

I don't understand it, I was pulling them apart quite hard before.

But either way its apart now.

Thanks for the fast response everyone.

using a hose clamp puts enough pressure on the two halves to keep it from coming apart. Use the tool that slips under the garter spring. Once it's under the spring, the tool is done. It has no further use. The rest of the job is to pull the halves apart... and that can be tough due to the o-rings sticking. You need to turn and pull...it will come out eventually. The tool you are using is nice because it will keep the halves from flying apart and skinning a knuckle. But as long as the lip on the tool slips under the spring, you can get them apart. Oh yea...you need to make sure you pull and turn perfectly straight. Any angle and it will bind and not come apart. Be sure and use grease or vaseline on the o-rings when you go back together.

Back