Reaction score
City, State
Mesick, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer Edition
So I have two Explorers:
1995 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L
1996 XLT 4x2 5.0L

We have taken the V8 and tranny out of the 96 and dropped the V6 with tranny and t-case from the 95 into the 96. We left the harnesses with their respective vehicles, swapped the computers, and hooked everything up in the 96 (which now has the V6 in it) and the engine wouldn't start. So we decided to swap the front wiring harnesses and we were able to start up the V6. It got late in the day and started to get dark out and we discovered some problems.

Blinker/Hazard lights do not work
The climate control lights up but nothing else
The whole dash board does not light up
Interior lights don't light up when you open the door but they do light up with the dimmer switch
:(

I am wondering what I have to do to fix these issues. Do I have to swap all of the wiring harnesses from each vehicle or should I just go out and buy a certain wiring harness that will do what I need it to? I'm not sure what to do at this point and I am looking for some insight. Thank you for looking

when i put my v8 into mine in place of the v6 i didnt have to do any wiring changes i used the engine harness that goes between the square block coming from below the brake booster to the computer that came with the v8 and it all worked
the only thing i noticed different between the 2 harnesses was the v8 had a wire for fuel level and the v6 had a 4low input for the computer
i ignored those
also the harness for the alternator and air conditioner was different so i used the v6 harness, plugged in at the fender and to the alternator for the small wires but used the v8 big wires that all seemed to work, my interior lights and dash stuff was all fine
mine is a base model though with no fancy things inside like climate control, there might have been a few more wires for outside temperature stuff maybe but i dont know

someone else did a v8 into a sport and had to change the whole bay wiring for some reason.

my vehicle is a 96 and engine was out of a 97 eb and its fun to drive

Back