• Register Today It's free!

Help! Thinking about Buying!

christianfriend

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 V6 Limited
I am thinking about buying a 2000 Explorer Limited V6. It is in good condition and it is a friend who is selling so he is charging me about 1/4 of the bluebook value. My concern is that it has 175,000 miles on it. He says that he has done regular maintanance and never had a problem. Most of the miles are highway miles. How much longer does this engine have? Should I buy the truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the OHV or the SOHC? Either way, if it has been kept up with, and you've got a good deal on the truck, I say buy it. The Explorer engines are very reliable and will last for a good long while. I'd be more worried about the transmission than anything else. A lot of guys will got through a few trannys before the truck dies.

Good luck.

Is it the OHV or the SOHC? Either way, if it has been kept up with, and you've got a good deal on the truck, I say buy it. The Explorer engines are very reliable and will last for a good long while. I'd be more worried about the transmission than anything else. A lot of guys will got through a few trannys before the truck dies.

Good luck.

It is the OHV I am pretty sure. Do you think I could get another 50-100k miles out of it? About how many miles are other folks getting on there trannys?

I got to about 225,000 on my OHC before replacing the transmission. I should have replaced the ATF with a high quality synthetic every 50,000 miles or so and I would likely still have it.

I currently have more then 252,000 miles on the motor and it runs very strong. I have replaced the plugs, wires, EFIs, belt, heater core. There are some more maintenance items to come, Fuel Pressure Regulator, worn front steering components. But monthly maitenance is way cheaper than monthly payments + maintenance. I expect the motor to run another 100,000 easy.

It is the OHV I am pretty sure. Do you think I could get another 50-100k miles out of it? About how many miles are other folks getting on there trannys?

I don't know from personal experience (I've got the SOHC), but I have heard that that is a very reliable engine and a workhorse. If it has been properly maintained, I don't see any reason why you couldnt get another 50-100k out of it.

As for transmissions, mine went at about 80k. I'm not sure how long others have lasted, but if it hasn't been replaced/rebuilt at 175k, I wouldn't be surprised if you encounter problems down the road.

like any vehicle you will get your random nickel and dime items. The afore mentioned tranny, not being a nickel nor a dime is the main concern. Perhaps work a tranny rebuild into your purchasing budget and get one chunk of peace of mind.

i'm pretty sure that all eddie bauers and limiteds after 97-98 they have the SOHC engine. Ohv after 97-98 it was only available in XLS edition.

check and make sure that all fluids are clean, tranny is shifting smooth and the engine runs smooth with no rattles.

SOHC engine have problems with chain tensioners braking loose after the plastic guides brake. it doesn't happen to everybody, but if it happens you will be in trouble.

From the shops I've been too, many explorers get good comments on how long they last (given you maintain it). Is your friend running synthetics all around? Makes a big difference, especially in the tranny.

Back