HELP - Tire Air Intake Cap Is STUCK | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP - Tire Air Intake Cap Is STUCK

My mechanic was rotating my tires during an oil change and notified me that one of the caps was stuck on my left front tire air intake..... I briefly tried it today with my bare hands and it won't budge... It's one of those aluminum/metal caps over the air intake nozzle... Any home remedies or quick solutions? Anyone ran into this before? First for me...

Thank you in advance....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My mechanic was rotating my tires during an oil change and notified me that one of the caps was stuck on my left front tire air intake..... I briefly tried it today with my bare hands and it won't budge... It's one of those aluminum/metal caps over the air intake nozzle... Any home remedies or quick solutions? Anyone ran into this before? First for me...

Thank you in advance....

I had that happen to me once. Aluminum has a way of fusing onto unlike metals. Once you get it off, try a little anti-seize on the threads, use plastic caps or don't put them on so tight.

I'm pretty sure I used tools to get the cap off. Be careful not to trash your valve stem.

I had that happen to me once. Aluminum has a way of fusing onto unlike metals. Once you get it off, try a little anti-seize on the threads, use plastic caps or don't put them on so tight.

I'm pretty sure I used tools to get the cap off. Be careful not to trash your valve stem.

I am not good with tools/cars, lol...

What kind of tools can I safely use on this? What about one of those wrench grips?

my wifes 07 chevy impala have those kind of valve stems.. i use a regular pair of priers and didnt squeze to hard and they come off, then just do what celly said about usein anit seize. this stuff works wounders. my 2 cents worth

It happens to me all the time.

1) spray some wd40 on it, let it sit for a few seconds.
2) Use 2 sets of pliers to hold the aluminum cap and the nipple itself. (closer to the top if you can)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to work on getting it off one of the days this week.

Gah... Got in there with 2 sets of pliers and no luck... The cap is distorting and bending and it's not budging.... Do I have any other options other than ordering a new Tire? :mad:

yeah all they do is break the bead and replace the valve stem.. well thats how i do them then have it rebalanced if u want.

Thanks guys.... I stopped by a Tire place by work today and they said it would be about $12 to have the valve stem replaced... Is it true they likely won't have to remove the tire and rebalance?

They'll probably just break the bead on one side to get to the valve stem, which means the tire won't rotate on the rim..so it shouldn't need to be rebalanced.

Does your truck have TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system)? This seems to happen alot due to the valve stem and cap used with TPMS systems. If you do have TPMS, it will be more than just $12. They will have to remove the tire and replace the TPMS sensor/valve stem as they are a single unit, and can get pretty pricey.

Back