Help to choose HID for my explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help to choose HID for my explorer

Jagopr

Reaction score
City, State
Las Piedras, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limite
Hi.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited without HID (Halogen projector). And I want to change for a HID as OEM style. What are the parts that I need to replaced to have a OEM HID Xenon lights in my SUV?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited without HID (Halogen projector). And I want to change for a HID as OEM style. What are the parts that I need to replaced to have a OEM HID Xenon lights in my SUV?

Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum Jagopr. :wavey:
If you want to add the OEM HID's I think it would be a very expense proposition.
The following link will take you to www.fordparts.com and the lighting section;

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2013&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search

I'm not sure exactly how to read it. It looks like each side will be about $776 but the illustration shows it as 'decontented'. I assume that means more parts will be required.
Another member had said that it could easily take you over $1000+ per assembly.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Jagopr. :wavey:
If you want to add the OEM HID's I think it would be a very expense proposition.
The following link will take you to www.fordparts.com and the lighting section;

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2013&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search

I'm not sure exactly how to read it. It looks like each side will be about $776 but the illustration shows it as 'decontented'. I assume that means more parts will be required.
Another member had said that it could easily take you over $1000+ per assembly.

Peter

Wow is too expensive.

But maybe there are something aftermarket that can work. I mention OEM as the color style, but could be a customized aftermarket part that work in same way.

That seems to be more in line with some of the posts that I have read. The OEM HID is a single bulb that uses a retractable cover for high beam. If it is the brightest, whitest light you want go with a bulb temp of around 4300K. From what I've read, it seems that the higher the temp number the lower the actual light output will be. I find it strange that unlike all Canadian Limiteds where HID is standard equipment, in the U.S. it is not.
You may want to post in the modified section for more comments/advice.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Peter

I've been using the 5k kit from ddmtuning.com for over a year now without any problems. I did use the optional harness just to be safe not knowing if the stock wires were heavy enough gauge. I chose the standard size ballast but would probably go with the smaller one next time around. They are local to me so I did will call.

I've been using the 5k kit from ddmtuning.com for over a year now without any problems. I did use the optional harness just to be safe not knowing if the stock wires were heavy enough gauge. I chose the standard size ballast but would probably go with the smaller one next time around. They are local to me so I did will call.

Ive done the same, perfect, no problems, and with their harness which is both fused and relayed, there is no fear of damage to the Ford lighting harness. For $12.50 its a high level of protection for your new vehicle.

Thats it. I did 35, I have a set of 55 in my Edge, I see no difference, your choice. I bought a 4300K 9006 because thats what the 2011 called for. Buy whatever bulb replacement you need from your setup. It may not have changed so probably 9006.

I did 35w as well. bulb temp was the 5000K. Again, i'm happy with them and have had no problems after install. However, When I did initially install them, the o-ring that came on the new HID bulbs was too thick and I could not get the bulbs to seat. I ended up swapping the o-ring from the stock bulbs and was able to get them to seat no problem.

The OEM non-HID lights in my 2011 Limited are excellent. That said, the HID's are the only option I wish I had, but was unwilling to buy into the next option package because Ford bundeled this with other options I did not really want.

Our lights only use one bulb. There is a flapper mechanism that opens like a shutter for high beams, and closes for low beam.

Back