• Register Today It's free!

Help Torsion Twist

outrun84

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Connecticut and Castleton, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I have a 97 XLT and i am looking into adjusting the front suspension with the torsion twist method. Here are my questions. 1.) where do i measure for the increase in height? 2.) What is the average height people raise theirs to? 3.) Do the two bolts have to be equal in the ammount they are in or out.?
I have played with it a little but i am at a loss as to how and balance the two off and everything. I cant seem to get the two sides of the truck even with each other. I have tried reading the Torsion Twist 101 messages but they all seem the same to me. I did find the nuts, unlike some people but i need a little advice as to what do measure. I know to twist clockwise to raise and vise versa. Thanks for any of your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just measure how high the front fender is and then crank the bars till you reached the desired amount of lift on that side. Then do the same for the other side. Dont go more than 2" on either side. You are just going to have to crank and check, crank and check till you get the right height. I think my passenger side is a little higher than my drivers side so they dont have to line up just right. Just put the same amount of lift on both sides.

Hmmm

What is the height measurement for yours, i have stock tires and the front is about 33 inches and the back about 32 or so is that about right do you think for the truck. That is the measurement from the ground to the lip on the top of the wheel well. thanks

This is copied from my factory Ford service CD. For a 4x4 3 inches is about the max you can go. Both bolts will not necessarily be turned the same because the weight of the truck is different on both sides.

Ride Height -- Explorer

1. NOTE: Perform this procedure if the torsion bars, torsion bar adjusters, or front suspension lower arms have been removed from the vehicle.

2. WARNING: TURN OFF THE AIR SUSPENSION SERVICE SWITCH LOCATED IN THE JACK STOWAGE AREA IN THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE (WITH AUTOMATIC RIDE CONTROL [ARC] ONLY). REFER TO «SECTION 04-05».

3. Raise vehicle on a hoist with frictionless plates.

4. Disconnect the front and rear air lines at the shock absorber (with ARC only). Refer to «Section 04-05».

5. Lower vehicle on slip plates to perform ride height setting.

6. Bounce the vehicle's front and rear suspension to normalize the vehicle static ride height.

7. Measure the distance between the front suspension lower arm bushing center bolt and ground (flat surface-see Dimension A in illustration). Record measurement. Measure the distance between the front suspension lower arm (lowest point) (see item 8 in View D) and ground (Dimension B). Record measurement.

8. Subtract Dimension B from Dimension A for ride height. For vehicles without ARC, ride height should be set between 110mm (4.33 inches) and 116mm (4.56 inches). For vehicles with ARC, ride height should be set between 83mm (3.26 inches) and 89mm (3.5 inches). This is done to allow for settling of new parts.

9. Raise vehicle to adjust torsion bars (height).

10. NOTE: When performing an alignment check only, the ride height should check between 91mm (3.58 inches) and 111mm (4.37 inches) (vehicles without ARC) or 69mm (2.7 inches) and 89mm (3.5 inches) (vehicles with ARC).

Attachments

• suspension2.jpg
    suspension2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 514

I have found, on 2 trucks, if you run the bolt all the way up, and then back off 2 complete turns, it gives about 2" on both sides, might have just been coincidence though

Back