Help! Transmission problem. I have to shift my automatic like a manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Transmission problem. I have to shift my automatic like a manual

mennitti

Reaction score
City, State
Punxsutawney, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
I downshifted going down a hill, and could not get up the other side. I have to shift my automatic like a manual transmission from 1st > 2nd > D. I have no reverse. The dipstick is clean from any metal shavings. Is this electronic or mechanical?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles are on it? Has it ever been serviced? Has the filter ever been replaced inside the transmission? Are there any leaks?

174,000 miles. Changed fluid and filter about 2 months ago.
No reverse. Drive only works if I'm up to 45 mph. The Over Drive Off light flashes constantly.
2003 Sport Trac

It's throwing a code for "Gear 4 Ratio Incorrect."
Changing the mass air flow sensor did not work, nor did disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes.

Now when you say "changed the fluid," was it actually done by a shop that flushes it out with their machine or you just dropped the pan and top it off after changing the filter? Flushing unblocks fluid passages that get clogged by gunk or debris. Simply draining and refilling won't correct anything.

Was there any noticeable debris in the old filter when it was removed?

I downshifted going down a hill, and could not get up the other side. I have to shift my automatic like a manual transmission from 1st > 2nd > D. I have no reverse. The dipstick is clean from any metal shavings. Is this electronic or mechanical?
Thanks
Mine Does the same, what was the cause?

same problem here what did you do to fix it?
174,000 miles. Changed fluid and filter about 2 months ago.
No reverse. Drive only works if I'm up to 45 mph. The Over Drive Off light flashes constantly.
2003 Sport Trac

Back