help; troll & blk mk8 charger question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help; troll & blk mk8 charger question

i posted this a while back in the under the hood section and it got buried before anyone answered. this question is for anyone who can help me out. why is it that superchargers for mustangs usually go for $1000 less than for a 5.0 X? is there something that needs to be upgraded on the X that is included in the kit that the stang doesnt need? fuel management? ignition? does it have to do with the OBD-II computer? i see chargers for 94-95 stangs on e-bay all the time for $750-900. what would be involved in adapting one of these to a 5.0 X? i know i just asked a lot of questions, but i need some help on this one. if i can get a used stang charger for low dough and spend a LITTLE extra making it work on my X, then that would leave me with some extra cash to drop on other mods. thanx for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually the fuel lines and fuel rails are larger on the explorer than the mustang. The only differece is on the explorer you can not adjust the timing without a chip or MSD DIS4. The brakets will not work from a mustang so basically you have to buy a supercharger head unit and have custom brakets made to bolt up the supercharger. The explorer does not have alot of room like the mustang so the blower has to be mounted lower and closer to the motor so as not to interfear with hood or AC lines. You could allways cut a hole in your hood and have the blower sticking out a little and take out you AC. Then you could use a mustang kit. Just go with the powerdyne kit for the explorer because it comes with all the parts and brakets you need.

thanx alot. if i go with the powerdyne kit (the one i was considering anyway) how well will the factory bottom end last if i upgrade to the 8 lb. pulley? i plan to use as mainly a daily driver with rare street races and a twice a year track run. i run mobil 1. heres what i have planned to do before charger. short block rebuild w/ factory parts, stock heads ported with exhaust valves @ 1.54 (the stockers are 1.45, right?) is this possible? i havent asked my head guy yet. anyway, just got a Compcams blower cam (fairly mild specs, 1800-6500 powerband), use factory intake, new lifters, 1.6 roller rockers, pro M or granetelli mass sensor, 30 lb. injectors, T-rex pump, high-flow cats. i already have steeda headers and flowmaster exhaust. will 30 lb. injectors be enough to feed this combo on 8lbs. boost? will the stock throttle body work? i know i just asked a sh*tload of questions, but time is drawing near and i dont want to waste money on stuff that really wont make much of a difference. after the install, i plan on taking the X to street & performance and let them dyno-tune it. am i getting too radical for the factory computer? i know you went with the stang computer on the Troll (although i will be no where near Hp of Troll). changing computers is something i really dont want to do. thanx again for all your help.:D

Your motor should hold up well to the boost. I'm running anywhere from 6-11 lbs at WOT on my 4.0. I'd upgrade your throttle body for sure, dunno why you'd want to stay with a stock one. 30 lb injectors should be plenty. As for the computer, you might need to get a custom chip or complete computer.

that sounds awesome man. the extra price of the xplorer kits have been driving me crazy for a few years now. i've just decided to forget it and drive mine the way it is until it breaks (but that sentiment probably won't last) anyways good luck. and as soon as i get that money order i'll send you those gauges. keep us informed of how it works out.

oh yeah, the specs you gave should work real well with the blower and i believe you will be able to get away with some kind of a chip or reprogramming of the stock computer system. i'm jealous- but just wait until i get out of school and free up some more income.

the only reason i considered the stock throttle body is because it is a 65mm. i know bigger is better, but was wondering if the stocker would work okay for a while. the computer shouldnt be a prob, one of the things the dyno place will do when they "dyno tune" it is reprogram it. i do know the OBD-II computer will only support a certain amount of hp, just dont know how close i will be at its limit with 8lbs, head work, cam, etc.

I could never get the stock computer to rev any higher so I put the mustang computer in. My stock motor held 10 psi of boost for 3 years. I would put the shift kit in first so you trany does not blow up on the first day.

should i go with a typical shift improver kit, or a shift-dedicated programmer (like the one offered by B&M?) does the shift kit replace something that could possibly break? i was planning on the B&M plug in module, but if i need the kit i will go with that. also, any good/bad with running the B&M synthetic trick-shift fluid? thanx again for answering my long list of questions.

look the best thing to do is buy the powerdyne kit. the reson why no one makes a kit for it beside powedyne is because ford ask them to make it and all the aftermarket tuners used it. plus how many people supercharge there explorer that is the resone why the price is so high. i am shure you can find a good deal on the blower is you look hard enuf. you should do the 10 pound pulley with a 77mm pro-m, 36 pound injectors with a t-rex inline, a dis-4, roller rockers with either a e-cam or a mild or medium wolvering cam. you also need to get a shift kit and trans cooler that buy pass the radiator because it will get way to hot. you should also do the motor sport headers and a good cat back or a whole new setup with or with out cats. as fair as the computer is concerned i can get you a chip for it to make it rev higher but that is now where back in the day we where un able to do it for troll that is the resone for the mustang computer. but the mustang computer is better in a lot of ways then just reving higher. i would not stray from the setup i have listed to fair because it is a very good forula that we have used at troll truck and it will work well and flawless. you can do any thing you want but this combo will work really well.

thanx alot. you just listed just about everything i have planned. some things will be done at once, some will be done as i go (for money reasons,) and some i have already done. i respect both of troll's an blkmk8's opinions (obviously, or i wouldnt have used your names in the title of this thread.) i really like being able to learn from someone who has already been there/done that. and yes, im gonna go with the powerdyne. and if you think the stock bottom end will handle the 10Lb. , then i will do that also. its funny, but when i started planning this project, the 6lb. was gonna be enough. then 8lb. looked pretty good, and now 10lb. has me drooling! i just wanted to ask all of these questions to have my bases covered. i have plenty of friends that have 5.0 mustang experience, but there are a couple of grey areas on the X that stang people cant help me on. i thank all of you for your help, and i will post progress as i go along. it may take me till the end of summer to COMPLETELY finish all off the work; the timing belt on my wife's t*yota MR2 just broke. thats gonna set me back a little. i thank all of you again for your help, and your suggestions. any further suggestions/comments are greatly apreciated.:)

Back