HELP! truck wouldnt start this morning. ECT sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! truck wouldnt start this morning. ECT sensor?

97exploder19

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Limited 5.0
My 5.0 wouldnt start this morning. I had it towed to a local firestone repair shop (im out of town) and they said the ECT sensor was reporting 112 degree temps or something like that. They replaced it saying that was the problem of the truck not starting. Even though I couldnt get the fuel pump to prime at all they thought that was the issue.

Now they replaced it and my temp gauge isnt working.

Where are the sensors for the 5.0? They replaced the sensor on the drivers side with 1 wire going to it. Was that the correct one to replace or is that only for the gauge?

Guess that's what happens when you let a tire shop diagnose an engine...
The single wire sensor is only for the gauge. The other one is just a couple inches away, on the opposite side. And it's highly unlikely that a defective ECT (or defective wiring to the ECT, which would be more common) will prevent your engine from starting. Seems that you found the cause, and it's the fuel pump.
My 5.0 wouldnt start this morning. I had it towed to a local firestone repair shop (im out of town) and they said the ECT sensor was reporting 112 degree temps or something like that. They replaced it saying that was the problem of the truck not starting. Even though I couldnt get the fuel pump to prime at all they thought that was the issue.

Now they replaced it and my temp gauge isnt working.

Where are the sensors for the 5.0? They replaced the sensor on the drivers side with 1 wire going to it. Was that the correct one to replace or is that only for the gauge?

Guess that's what happens when you let a tire shop diagnose an engine...
The single wire sensor is only for the gauge. The other one is just a couple inches away, on the opposite side. And it's highly unlikely that a defective ECT (or defective wiring to the ECT, which would be more common) will prevent your engine from starting. Seems that you found the cause, and it's the fuel pump.

I know I know! I would have never taken it to a shop if I was back home but when you're in another state 3 hours away, you have to do what you have to do.

But back on point.

I just arrived back home a little while ago and as soon as I got here I tested out the new spliced in connector they installed. I grounded the only pin and my gauge maxed out inside the truck.

So that must mean their new sensor is bad. I did notice they said 4.0 v6 on the sheet. Are the sensors interchangeable?

Next question.

Is this the ECT sensor? I cannot find anything else close by that resembles pictures of the sensor.

Engine Coolant Temperature, ECT Sensor

A failed ECT sensor will NOT prevent an engine from starting. It's PURPOSE is to tell the computer (PCM) that the engine is "cold", therefore needing to be "choked"; IOW, richer fuel mixture. Once the ECT tells the PCM coolant temperature is going up, the PCM "leans" out the mixture, AND slows down the idle speed.

Often, the "tip-off" on a failed ECT is that after starting, the engine will stall. This happens because the PCM does not "know" the engine is cold. imp

Back