HELP!!!Turns over and over but no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!!Turns over and over but no start

Stuman78424

Reaction score
City, State
Wetumpka, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
:( :( :( Ok long story short...2 months ago went outside to go to class my explorer would turn over but not crank later that day...cranked right up a few times in a row...the next day it wouldnt crank all day and cranked the next day. i took it to the sop and of course it cranked every time for them over a 4 day period and has started every time since....until now. i didnt use my car all day yesterday and it rained last night..went to crank my car this morning and it turned over and over and over...and ideas comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated greatly. thanks! :( :( :(

1998 Explorer SOHC 4x4

also the fuel filter was replaced in between occurances so that can be ruled out

First, switch the key on
do you hear the fuel pump run for 1-2 seconds( be real quiet)? If not,Check the fuel pump relay, located in the power distribution box under the hood. An easy way to check it is to swap it with another one just like it.
Look on page 137-142? in your owners manual for location.

2nd check
fuel pump inertia cutoff switch, located in upper front passenger foot area.

3rd check, fuel pump

finally, does the check engine light illuminate when you first switch on the key?
it should.
post back with results

Back