Help...Vibration when accelerating with the wheels turned?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help...Vibration when accelerating with the wheels turned??

Toby from MO

Reaction score
City, State
Arnold, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Can anyone here help me out? I’ve got a 2003 Explorer XLT 4X4. I’ve noticed a subtle vibration/shutter in the vehicle when I accelerate from a standing position while the wheels are turned, either direction. A good example is a 3-point turn. I back out of my driveway, then simultaneously shift from reverse to drive while turning my wheels to the desired direction of travel and as I accelerate I feel the vibration. When I first felt the vibration I thought I had a tire rubbing but after a thorough inspection that doesn’t seam to be it.

Things I know:
- The steering wheel is not fully “crankedâ€. In fact, after much trial and error, the vibration seams to most prevalent when the wheel is approximately ½ turn from fully “crankedâ€.
- The vibration only happens when accelerating from a stand still with the wheels turned.
- The vibration is subtle. If I had to give it the sound it would be nothing more than a slight interruption in the smooth resonating sound of the engine in the cab as I accelerate.
- It is typically short in duration (from between 0-7 mph) and seams to disappear rapidly as I straighten the wheel and increase speed/RPM’s.
- Passengers in the car have felt the vibration so I believe it is not exclusive to the steering column.
- It may be in my head, but I feel a slight drain on the engine power as it occurs leading me to believe it is a “binding†type problem.

My power steering seams to be OK but I’m starting to think it may be going bad. It would explain a vibration only when the wheel is turned. It would explain a short duration vibration that would disappear as RPM’s increase. It would also explain a slight “binding†and momentary loss of power.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Toby

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its power steering.. but htere isnt anything wtong with it.. its just something all heavy suvs exhibit

My girlfriend has a 2004 XLT and it does the same thing. Kinda like either hitting the inner fender or the sidewall of the tire folding.

interested to hear what you find out.

Tone

Well the dealer just called and he thinks he has it figured out. He’s ordered his parts and we’ll know for sure tomorrow after they are installed.

He claims it is not the power steering pump. He said he was able to duplicate my vibration in both the forward and reverse directions. He said there is a “clutch pack†in the rear end and when the vehicle is put in a bind, i.e. the wheels turned in either direction, the clutch is slipping upon engagement. At this point I’m still partially confused because I failed to ask why a “clutch pack†was located in the rear end and to what purpose it served. This vehicle is not an AWD but it is a 4X4 with the “auto†4x4 feature. So I assume the clutch pack may be related to the limited slip rear or the “auto†4x4 feature for transferring power to the front when the rear slips.

I have the same problem with my 2002. Did the parts fix the problem and how much was the repair?

I also have the same problem are there any updates on this

I called a dealership today, and there is a friction modifier which may help the problem. If the clutch plates in the rear end are sticking and causing the vibration, the modifer may free the plates. I haven't tried it yet and it may be a couple of weeks until I can. I would try this first and if it doesn't work, then I guess the clutch packs will need to be replaced. Be sure to replace the seals at the same time, because if they haven't started to leak yet they probably will. Let me know if you try the modifer and if it works.

Back