help w/ airmax intake

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
hey guys I just finished installing my intake but theres one thing left... I put the maf sensor back on and the other tube that fits onto the intake tube but then theres this other thing, I think its a o2 sensor, kinda looks like a mini fuse bulb that is supposed to plug into a hole into the intake tube.. problem is, my new intake didnt come with another hole? do i drill another hole or wut?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

drill a new hole and then seal it real well with silicone or something like that.

i unplugged mine before and i got a cel

Intake air temp sensor. You need to put it in for the motor to run correctly.

Where'd you get the intake from?

Had to do the same with mine. Pack of 7 different sized rubber grommets runs $1.95 at a hardware store, or auto parts store. Whichever one fits perfectly around the snesor where it enters the intake tube is your winner. Drill a hole the same size as the inner diameter of the grommet, afix said grommet, and slide in the sensor. Should hold tight.
It's kinda like a secondary MAF sensor, if I remember correctly.....
Karl

on my K&N i had the same issue.. i found grommet to not work to my liking so i did something a little different.

I went to Home Depot and went to the pvc/piping section.. that had these grey colored fittings of different sizes.. - that have a flange and such on them and they have ribbs on the fitting end to help hold the hose on (combined with a hoseclamp it wont come offf.
I then drilled a hole the size of the fitting into the intake tube. stucj the fitting in and JBwelded the crap out of it. It wont budge.. and! seals up better than i think a grommet would
THEY say a picture is worth a thousand words so here is a few pics:

pipefitting.jpg

The fitting here isnt exactly like the one i used.. the one i used has a larger flange in the center so it would stay in place better with the JB weld.

closeuppipe.jpg

knintake.jpg

thanks guys.. another question.. So wut if i run without this sensor? how will this affect my engine and performance?

You'll throw codes and won't run right. I can't tell you exactly what it will do, but it for sure won't be as efficient or powerful. The IAT is almost as important as your MAS, TPS, and O2 sensors.

so ughhh,, thanks alec, i've been running without the sensor for a couple days now.. so i definetly been throwing codes. errr hehe so how do i go about restoring my codes!!

Simply disconnect the battery let the computer reset.. Plug the IAT back in and then reconnect the battery..
drive for 30 or so mintues and let the computer relearn everything

You can read as well as reset trouble codes with an OBD II scanner.

Back