• Register Today It's free!

help w/ takin' off ford emblem!

JeSSeJohn

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn University
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer Sport v6
I need some help with takin off the ford emblem on the front grill and off the back hatch. Does anyone have any pics. I searched and there are no current pics that will load. The old posts say they are held on by nuts but i don't see any. this is aggravating the sh*t out of me! I'm wanting to color the emblem red, I just have to get the damn things off! I have a 1998 explorer. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's held on there by some glue, and have to heat it up is all..... I'm trying to find out the same thing you are. lol:D

If they aren't held on with any type of nuts, then some fishing line will do the trick. Just grab it like dental floss, and stroke it back and forth behind the emblem. A little "goo-gone" will help take the rest of the glue off.

Robb

I can get under the emblem with a guitar pick. I broke the pick trying to pry the emblem off. It feels like there is
stud in there connecting it to the grill. THere is no way in hell i'm going to take the entire front of my grill off just to get that lil' stubborn embelm off. This is pissin me off!

It's screwed on there on the front. I've had the front grille off to make the mesh inserts, and it's screwed on there.... here look.....
Dead Link Removed

The front one has a wingnut lookin thing holding it on. But the grille is very easy to take off! 6 screws I think. 1 under each headlight flap deal, and the other four along the top on the grille. It'll only take you 10 mins to get it off.

Yep, very easy to take off...

well that really sucks that i have to take the front grill off. well i nothing else to do, so i guess i can go ahead and get on it.

I like your shoes mike

:)

HAHA!! Thanks :D

Not a easy as ya'w made it aout to be.

Take out the 4 screws that you see when you open the hood. Remove the 2 screws holding each of the corner lenses on and pull them out. Remove all the bulbs from the corner lenses and set the lenses aside. Once you get the lenses off, you'll see there are 2 more screws holding the grill on (one per side--remove them).

Now, there are 4 clips that hold the bottom of the grill in. They are hard as crap to get loose. The outer 2 (one per side) become visible when you remove the corner lenses. There is a small hole that you can look into and see the clip. Look closely and you'll see that they grab the sheet metal behind the grill with a tab on their top surface. Press the tab down with a flat screw driver and pull the grill forward at the same time. After enough pressing and pulling, the clip will let go. Do this for both sides.

Now the other two clips are more toward the center. You must slide under the truck to see them. Slide under the front bumper and look up to where the bottom of the grill would be (a little above the top of the bumper). You'll see 2 more of those pesky clips to remove. These are harder to make let go since you can't access them from the top like the other 2. Depress them with a screw driver from the side, or with a pair or needle nose pliars from the rear. They WILL be HARD to get loose. Have someone tug on the grill gently while you are depressing the clips. Be patient and they will let go.

What about the one on the tailgate for us '95ers??
Dead Link Removed See what I'm talkin about?

There are two holes behind the Ford emblem 97 and below. Two posts from the emblem go into these holes, and is held on with 3M tape.

Back